Help with finding a home

I need help here I’m living in Northern Ireland with my partner and two kids 8 and 10 trying to move back to Hertfordshire … have a job via transfer with work have a guarantor however I’m in an Iva it ends in august … our tenancy here is coming to and end so need to find somewhere to live … is there any landlords willing to help it’s starting to get me down don’t how many la I have contacted .

When you say it ends in August, my understanding is that an IVA will stay on your credit file for 6 years after it is approved. During that time, it is likely to affect your ability to rent a new property.

If a Landlord uses a credit reference, its likely to affect if you pass that, and if the Landlord takes rent protection insurance, then the tenant needs to have passed a credit reference check, so they will be restricted about who they can choose as their tenants.

My only advice would be very transparent with any prospective Landlords. Be open with how you got into financial trouble in the first place, and have proof at hand regarding any regular payments made under the IVA, and how you will have paid down the debt. This will demonstrate that you have managed to abide by the IVA & maintain regular payments.

Regretfully, the whole idea of a credit check is that it helps Landlords avoid prospective tenants who have been poor at managing their finances, so many will knock you back without question.

Get yourself viewings as much as possible, to help build a personal raport with any possible Landlords. Some will like YOU, and will be willing to give you a chance. This might be very diffuclt given the geographic distance for viewings from NI to Herts.

Do u know how many times we have viewed properties … my sister in law has been going for us and video calling so we can see the property… I can prove I haven’t missed any payments … if I had known what I know now I would have never done the Iva …the property we are in was meant to be long term but has got cut short .

Personally, as a Landlord, I’d prefer a tenant who I had met personally (first impressions count), rather than one who’s sister-in-law I had met. This may make it even harder for you.

We are trying to save our money flights over would be extra , this is getting to me got another no again today