Holding deposit paid Friday evening. Is it 4 working days or days for landlord to reply?

Hi all, happy Sunday

I placed a holding deposit on Friday evening, I just wondered is it Is it 4 working days I need to wait?

Or just four days?

I have a second choice Landlord waiting to hear from me and I don’t want to mess them around.

Many Thanks

Magda

It is 24 hrs X 4.

But any serious landlord would get in touch within a day at most…

Have you viewed the property and talked to the landlord before putting down a holding deposit? Just putting one down without communicating with him wouldn’t be the best option.

Thanks for your reply, its very helpful.

Also thanks for asking. Its a long story. I have a cat :slight_smile:

In short yes, I did send 2 messages introducing myself in detail. While I was waiting I got excited to see that I could pay a holding deposit. I explained all the reasons I wanted the place so much. The landlord profile says 4 day response time also.

I don’t mind not viewing as I’m not local and my own needs are pretty basic, but I do need my cat overlord with me haha. I did plenty of research and it ticks all the boxes for me.

At this point I am getting a bit desperate. I’ve been trawling through the usual agencies finding most are already let, or wont accept pets despite not putting that in the adverts.

It great to see so many on here willing to accept pets. Great website / service so far.

I haven’t moved like this for years so its a learning curve, and never with a pet!

Many thanks again for your input!

It’s not advisable to put down a holding deposit on a property without viewing for two reasons:

1. You have no idea if it is actually as presented in photos and when you’ve signed a contract you’re committed. If you don’t sign the contract you lose the holding deposit.

2. As a landlord I’d find it annoying that someone “reserved” the property without speaking to me, and would reject the applicant directly. It’s important I get info on the tenant before I give the go-ahead to reserve it.

3 Likes

Useful insights again. Many thanks Per.

Just echoing what Per has said. If a prospective tenant contacted me twice and then paid a holding deposit before I replied, I too would be reluctant to proceed.

1 Like