Housing Benefit and Rent Arrears

Thanks Mr T, I was just reading through this thread and saw your link. I’ve just completed the form for an outstanding payment from a historical tenant,
I’d given up hope… I didn’t realise that there was a potential ray of light!? Whether or not my claim will be authorised as it is 10 months old is another thing. The council that were paying to me her rent directly during her tenancy, couldn’t help as she moved towns…
I’d tried to call the DWP, however on hold for ages, so had sort of given up. Fingers crossed, I’ll know for another time though.
Thanks again
Sarah

Hi Sarah,
It’s one that is worth checking.
If yours is a historical tenant it might not work as obviously the idea is to keep tenants in their homes so they are not evicted and become the problem of the LA to house.
But will hope for you.
There’s nothing to lose by trying. Have you got a judgement against your former tenant for the arrears?

Hi Mr T, I don’t have a judgement against her, I haven’t gone down that route.
After she left, there were some circumstances that came to light, and I didn’t want to add to it.
If the DWP do pay out, it’ll be an added bonus, but as it’s historical, I don’t expect to much, just worth a try…
Thanks again for the heads up.
Sarah

How funny, I’ve just had an email declining payment!!!

Oh dear. Guessing if historic it’s a case for the courts.

Hi
Iv just joined Open rent and have listed a property with them. I have highlighted I will accept HB tenants, the new housing rules state you cannot refuse HB. The stipulation I have made to HB tenants are the payments are made directly to me and I want a letter from the council confirming this. I have had HB tenants in the past, they were claiming when they moved in, however I was renting through the local council, so it made my life a little bit easier.
Call the tenants HB office, through the local council and they can confirm if she’s claiming. I personally would just see the eviction order through and evict her. As landlords we need t have an open trusting business relationship with the tenants. I was blessed for the last 5 years with my current tenants however due to work, they have to move away.