How realistically does Housing Benefit cover the rent in your area?

Is it enough to cover 100% of the rent, if you go for modest self-contained rentals without sharing? If you supplement the rent, could you give an approximate ratio of HB and own rent money?
Thank you.

For a 2-bed flat here the UC is 1,200 but rent 1,600

1 Like

And I presume UC the same all over the country, regardless of the difference in rent?

Here 2 bed flat is £900 per month at current market rates, LHA is £650. I have tenant on benefits paying £690 so only have to self fund £40 pm although allowance reduced as she works, been there for 6 years, it’s not really viable anymore to continue with such a shortfall but on mine i know they will move soon and works for me in short term.

1 Like

No, it varies depending on local market

2 Likes

LHA for a 2 bed. flat is £10001 whereas 2 bed flats range from £900 for a cardboard, mouldy, storage heated dump. to £1700 for a new build with gym and concierge…

It looks like LA encourages TT to contribute (not that they have a choice). What a broken system. I honestly wanted to consider such TT but it looks like “Your benefits won’t cover the rent for this property” applies to vast majority of rental stock. Not to mention that these TT won’t weather well with yearly rent increases.
OK, thanks to all those who replied.