Tenant will pay the rent through UC/LHA and is unable to provide a guarantor

Mature student replied to my ad for a room in houseshare. He has disclosed he will pay the rent through UC/LHA and is unable to provide a guarantor. Any advice?

foget it and move on to someone else

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, he also said he is good for the rent and just wants a chance.

1 Like

he would say that would nt he ?

1 Like

Well he wouldn’t say I am no good for the rent !
Move on plenty of tenants waiting and don’t pick the first one

2 Likes

can’t believe you would even consider this

2 Likes

Exactly what I was going to say, give him a chance

1 Like

First time posters will say give him a chance . Experienced posters will say forget it

1 Like

Ask for a deposit, this would cover rent if he/she didn’t pay. Everyone starts somewhere and everyone deserves a chance.
Not every student is bad this is very similar to my situation i work i can pay rent i can prove im up to date on payments for everything yet im tarred with that same brush shes a single mum dont bother

1 Like

Hello, look for another tenant. UC won’t help in the rent arrears.

1 Like

Take the advice from the experienced LL’s. We have all given people a chance and regretted it. Why cant he provide a guarantor, he is a chancer, dont do it.

3 Likes

Do you live in the house? Will beg be a tenant or on a licence to occupy?

May i just say its opinions like this which make it almost impossible for people who get help with rent find anywhere to live. I work part time in retail and have housing benefit for my 3 bedroom property. I have never fallen into rent arrears receiving housing benefit and i top up the rent out of my own pocket for which the housing benefit doesnt cover. I have been privately renting for over 25 years and have always been on top of my rent and council tax. I would say give this boy a chance! Im now currently finding myself in a situation similar to this young boy where i need to find a new property in south west london area and opinions and views like this on rent payment help make it impossible to find anywhere or anyone who accept HB. I have deposit money etc ready but because i am in receipt of housing benefit noone is even willing to give me a chance of a viewing irregardless of being able to provide references from my current landlady. Help a young person out and give them a chance. Its not as bad as it seems and with that being said, you are always guaranteed your rent if its sent directly to your bank account, as a landlord, like mine is.

2 Likes

It is not correct to say that HB is Garranteed to be sent to the landlord The tenant can STOP this at any time … If the HB tenant has lied in their claim and the L A think the landlord knew about it , they can sue the landlord to get that money back. Did you know that? Just because you do it well does not mean others will

3 Likes

I did not know that to be honest, i was speaking from my own life experience. I like to live an honest life and like to believe others would too but im not naive in believing they do. Its just unfortunate that everyone receiving help with their rent payments gets painted with the same brush. We’re not all the same, some of us just need a little help to pay rent in this ever increasing rental society.

1 Like

Do not take a chance on UC/LHA. I have felt sorry many times and each time have been let down. No more for me. A working and home owner guarantor is an essential element.

Great. Not everyone on a low income who needs a home has the luxury of a guarantor. Presumably we’re all supposed to live in cardboard boxes. The only other option seems to be to provide 6 months advance rent and that is more possible for some, but you all seem to be saying that would mean the property is wanted for criminal purposes. Pretty bigoted I think

1 Like

Not everyone can provide a guarantor. Some people don’t even want to ask anyone because it creates an awkward position. It’s disgraceful that this has become the norm and that people who can’t provide one are routinely being described as chancers

1 Like

I have been volunteered 6 months upfront . Was not a problem . good tenants

1 Like

What he means by chancers is that you can advertise " guarrantor required" and people who know they cannot get a guarrantor still apply, "chancing their arm " as we say. Thus wasting everyones time