I can barely read the web pages, the text is light grey, almost illegible to me

I’m a landlord, currently back on OpenRent for the first time in a while. In the Tenant Enquiries section all the text is light grey. My eyesight is not as good as it was. I can read the text on my desktop and laptop but it’s really difficult to read on my phone. I’m guessing a young person with good eyesight designed the OpenRent site and they think grey is a cool colour. Please consider the needs of those who have poor eyesight and make the text black against a white background. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @perrygrovefarm -

Thanks for the feedback, we’ll certainly take a look.

There hasn’t been a specific change here recently, and the way text appears does, unfortunately, depend a lot on the specific device/screen/contrast settings you’re using. The colour on desktop and mobile are the same, so there isn’t a specific difference there, but we can see if we can improve things generally for all screen types.

If you wouldn’t mind sharing the make/model of your phone we’d possibly be able to test directly on that device too before making changes.

Thanks,
Daz.

Phone is a Samsung A21S
Can I send a screenshot?

If you go into the settings on your phone sometimes under Accessibility and the vision enhancements setting you can “invert the colours” this may help u not just with this site but with others also

Open rent is the only site I am having a problem with. The majority of sites appreciate that clarity is important.
My specific problem is the Tenant Enquiries pages, where the communications between landlord and tenant are grey text on a grey background. I would have thought that commonsense alone would indicate this is not a good idea.
I noticed I can upload an image with these comments but when I take a screenshot the contrast between the text and the background is improved. I could tweak the contrast or colour saturation or other things but then I would be using a “fake” image.
The solution is so simple, just make the text black instead of grey.

Unfortunately thoughnthat solution is an.OR site wide problem and is unlikely to be rectified soon i wouldve thought my suggestion was just to make life easier for you so you could read the necessary and hopefully not miss important information i appreciate what u say about a fake image if thats what you have to do in the short term then so be it

I’m not 100% sure what would cause this, but it does sound like your browser is doing something surprising.

In any case, we’ve increased the contrast ratio on the messaging screen now if you want to take a look and confirm it’s more readable. We’ll be making wider changes in the coming months to the site to hopefully improve readability more generally.

Yep, definitely improved. Black text is darker on the grey background.

Yes! that’s exactly what I was asking for. It really does help me read more easily. Thanks!