ICO GDPR do we need it?

On the subject of tenants knowing they do , I had a tenant who worked for the council as a carer and knew more than me and with these ambulance chasing lawyers looking to make money it won’t be long £40 seems cheap to be honest considering the fines they issue

1 Like

Sounds like a nightmare. How do you keep in contact with your tenants

I basically only use email I have a protonmail rmail and I use that and it keeps a record

1 Like

I never use e mail with tenants I drop a note in and all details are in my diary nothing on a computer

2 Likes

It’s £35 if you pay by direct debit.

1 Like

I’ve got Proton as well, better start using it for Openrent :+1:

Good idea but not very practical for me I use phone/text/WhatsApp or email via Openrent

£35 for now but too late if they start ramping the cost up

Also be careful about giving out tenants number to the gas fitter etc and giving a copy of the tenancy to the local council which the ctax people wanted to chase a ex tenant, they went nuts when I refused . You just got to be so careful in how you store information and you has acces , my wife doesn’t have any clue about my tenants and no access to my business account etc

1 Like

good man . Try and get info off the L A tho . They want it all one way You cannot trust the Local council.

1 Like

I need to replace the carpet in the hallway today. It’s nigh on impossible to find a carpet fitter willing to do a 4x1.5m job those that bother getting back to me are quoting ridiculous prices & are booked up for weeks. Now I’m expected to ask if they’re complaint as well before getting them to arrange fitting with my tenant :person_shrugging:

1 Like

They should have a policy in place .

1 Like

I’ve tried the local fitters no luck so I’m going into town.
Should be interesting :crossed_fingers:

There is no way I’ll be asking fitters and tradesmen if they are ICO registered. It’s their problem not mine.
Who in the right mind would see that a tradesmen having the phone number and name of a person they are doing work for as a problem.

Plus the whole thing is only relevant if data is held digitally.

2 Likes

The rules all boils down to “taking reasonable steps” when storing data. This in itself is vague and open to interpretation. Basically encrypt your hard drive and have 2 form factor authentication turned on on any online accounts where data is held - where to log in you are send a text or similar.

Try proving or disproving any of the above anyway!

2 Likes

Thanks Mark.
I almost hate to say that shortly after moving in I got a friends request from both my tenants on Facebook which I accepted.
The Facebook app is passcode protected.

The agent who I sometimes use , won’t use a tradesman full stop unless they have the GDRP stuff available and they have a phone given to them by agent solely for contacting tenants so the agent is the data controller , all very complicated now

My thoughts exactly. I can see the point in data protection by companies but this sort of thing is why I voted out of the EU :rage:

Omg that’s ridiculous

To me they are showing ignorance of GDPR and they are protecting themselves just incase, but it’s just overkill.

(I have multiple customers who are estate agents)

1 Like