ICO GDPR do we need it?

They had a team on this for months going through every landlord and getting things in order. Even my solicitor said don’t get caught and if in doubt overkill as the fines are huge and the way it’s rigged very difficult to get away with, he said they are worst than taxman , just got to do your best .
I have even suggested to agent to send me paperwork by post !

1 Like

voting outof the eu will not put a stop to all the legislation as gov will keep on finding ways to tax us irrespective of the eu

4 Likes

Thanks Jason, surely if Openrent share landlord information they hold with the ICO that would be a breach of data confidentially under their own rules.

Nope the ICO make the rules and they are allowed under uk law to ask any business if they are obeying the GDRP and that includes any business associated with them

1 Like

If I remember back a few years when I working in Brussels it was the UK gov who were at the forefront for it .
It’s another way for the uk gov to know exactly what you are up to and tax accordingly

1 Like

It’s not overkill it’s a very good way they have and if your are a gas fitter and want to work for them then that there rule , of course you can find other work !
The renting game is a big target for the ICO because they know it’s easy pickings got a few quid . I predict it will go the same way as the Deposit protection scheme .

Unfortunately have ICO certification doesn’t mean you are a responsible data handler. It just means you’ve checked the right boxes to get your little badge. It does create awareness which is a good thing of course. The issue is that the guidelines are very vague and open to interpretation. Ask 2 solicitors and get 2 different opinions… And “experts” want their share of the action….

Its another avenue to see who’s doing what to gain extra tax…Now this I can understand!

3 Likes

Now with all this technology and all these gov dept interlinked they know exactly what they are doing.
My mum has a place in Spain and went there last week and they want her NI number to continue to use the bank account!
People say we left eu .we haven’t

3 Likes

It’s surprising how useless government technology is sometimes, test & trace comes to mind but when it comes to collecting money they’re on the ball. God knows how much it all costs though.

As Mark10 implies, an ICO registration is only one part of the equation. You also need a comprehensive GDPR privacy notice that you give to prospective tenants at an early point.

3 Likes

I’m going old skool, deleting everything & buying a diary like Colin :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Just been asked to select data privacy settings before being able to read an article :person_shrugging:

It’s been £35 as long as I remember. At least since 2017, but I’ve been paying it since the early 2000s and I don’t remember it ever being different.

2 Likes

Don’t think it makes any difference if it’s electronic or manual. If you keep tenants’ details you need to be registered. (My understanding of the rules)
What if someone nicks your diary?

1 Like

Organisations that do not process personal information on a computer are exempt. You therefore do not have to pay a fee to the ICO

Source: ICO.org.uk

A smartphone is a computer so hard to be exempt.

1 Like

i do not have a smartphone .I do not even keep my childrens phone numbers in my phone I do not have a credit card, I do not do internet banking, I feel safer that way and it works for me

2 Likes

Wow that is definitely retro :+1:

1 Like

Good point Stephen, I didn’t think of that.

Never used a cash machine, ( getting quite proud of that now). Still use a cheque book . some rents I collect in cash and sign a rent book !!! I am determined not to change for as long as I can. I will not do bank transfers or cards in my small insulation business ALWAYS cash and give a receipt. No cash - no insulation. Dinosaurs are alive and doing pretty good !!

2 Likes

Losing a diary and only one person can find it so odds are small that content will be put online and distributed. What’s the odds of the person who finds it being able to do anything with it? It will be meaningless. It requires the finder to be a fraudster for a start.

Anything on tinternet is at higher risk of being distributed.

3 Likes