Im looking for a property need advice

Hi im currently living with my uncle in Skegness originally im from Sutton in ashfield, I’ve been looking at properties in Mansfield area to get back closer to my family, it’s for myself in 50 years old and my two sons, in on disability benefits and one of my son’s as been helping me my other son is only 9 years old, I don’t smoke or have any pets, with me being in Skegness but then I enquire about a property and they want me to get there to view the house I’ve explained how far I am away and im happy with the property, or if I do have to view then I ask to let them arrange to get there, I’ve found quite a few that I’ve been happy to rent and meet to sort everything out but then I just get the same message over and over, all I want to do is rent a house for over there and sort everything out , can anyone help please

Donna, the way the market is now there are far too many renters to houses. You will be competing against many others wanting the same property (50 plus is normal). A landlord will have the pick. A landlord or agent usually wants to meet the tenant first to see if you are a good fit. Getting there shows you are serious. You should line up as many viewings as you can over a day.

Does the housing only part of your benefits pay for 100% of the rent? Is your other son of working age and working? Their income may help with affordability, assuming they live with you.

Can you pay rent in advance?

Can you offer a guarantor?

Good credit with no ccjs?

If good make sure you tell landlord in advance these types of things, at first point of contact.

1 Like

Hi I get all my rent paid im on high rate pip and highest pip rate also universal credit and child benefit my older son is currently unemployed as he’s been my carer but he will get straight into work as soon as we’re over with our family, I can afford the deposit, we don’t smoke or have any pets, between us were getting £3170 , were also waiting for some money from my dad as he has just passed away, im looking for a quiet home it will be kept clean and you will see that it’s a home,