International tenant - first lease: HOW to pay?

Please can you help if I have a friend who will help me to place the holding deposit by uk bank card, what about the rent can I pay by cash or the same friend pay me rent and Can I later change the account card information to pay monthly by my bank account as I am new and I need address to open bank account .can friend from uk pay first month rent and then I update my uk bank card information?is there option to pay cash first month rent

Hi,I tried monzo and I was rejected despite Iam nhs doctor

Would you able to provide reference letter
from HR as you are saying nhs doctor or UK guarantor

Or offer to pay 6months rent together. Then after 6months you can arrange to pay monthly.

I can understand as why you have been rejected.

I have letter from my nhs trust stating that but it was sent to barclays

Well itā€™s not difficult in request again to send by
electronically or can give direct contact details.

So you should have copy of it.

These why all reference companies, landlords etc need to have UK references

Why donā€™t you stay in hotel for a week or two and then can
get property then get sorted by yourself and with your friend.

Usually that the way one of my tenant did in past.

Hey, sorry for bumping an old thread. Iā€™m having the same issue and I donā€™t have any relatives or friends in the UK. Iā€™m an international student planning to arrive in the following week. I do not have a UK debit card or know anyone that already have a UK debit card. Is there no way around it? Itā€™s been more than 2 years since the thread opened, Iā€™m hoping that this has been resolved and an alternative way to pay the holding deposit is implemented by the OpenRent team. Iā€™m extremely desperate to place a holding deposit because Iā€™ve finally found a great place to rent + they accept 6 months upfront instead of a guarantor. Please any help you can provide is appreciated.

Hi openrent team, this issue is still persisting. I am recently located to the UK with my employer and i actually already have a UK debit card opened with an address in Hong Kong. However the requirement to fill in a billing address with a UK postcode is causing issues. And openrent seems to be aware of it - suggesting that ā€œBLANKā€ can be used to fill in the postcode section, but this actually immediately triggers an error message. Can you please fix your system so a UK debit card can be allowed to make payment please?

1 Like

Hi open rent,

We are landlords and our future tenantā€™s are international. After noting this thread we decided to accept the holding deposit by direct bank transfer to our accounts.

However how the system (our listing) is stuck saying itā€™s waiting for the holding deposit and we want to proceed to the tenancy agreement. Is there is a way to update from the back end?

1 Like

Hi Mthika,

thanks for getting in touch.

If you have any questions about your account then please contact our customer support team directly by clicking the blue ā€œneed helpā€ button on your screen. That way our support team can review your account and offer personal support rather than replying on a public forum.

1 Like

ā€œAlternatively, if the tenant has a relative or friend with a UK debit card, they can use this to place the holding deposit on the propertyā€

This is NOT a real solution. If someone has not yet moved to the UK, they may not have a relative or friend in the UK!

You need to provide international tenants with a way to pay the holding deposit! This is discriminating against international tenants.

1 Like

You need to provide clear answers on the public forum because your help pages do not provide real solutions for international tenants.

Every step of the process so far, from creating an account that requires a UK phone number, to requiring a UK debit card for holding deposits, and the referencing process that requires paper forms for non-UK residents, every step is designed to create obstacles for international tenants. This is discriminatory.

This thread started in 2019 and after more than 3 yrs, you still have not tried to create real solutions for international tenants who are not yet established in the UK.

Hey! My future flatmates and I have been trying to put down a deposit on a place for almost a month now. You should really figure out a real solution for international renters!
We do not have any friends or family in the UK willing to use their debit cards for us. A revolut card does not work, we are unable to open a UK bank account until we arrive in the UK, Wise card does not work, not even international banks work.
This is EXTREMELY frustrating.

Any idea if things have changed for international students? Iā€™ll be coming to Birmingham by September and looking for a place on time so as not to get stranded, staying at a hotel is quite expensive.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.