Landlord had threatened to Evict due to identifying repairs need ed

Hello,
I am having ongoing problems with my landlord regarding a pest issue in my building and more specifically my flat.

The issue is one that is a Health and Safety risk as well as a risk to my mental health and well-being, which is have expressed to my landlord several times in my emails that go ignored on more occasions than answered.

After being made aware of the rodent issue on a wider scale on Friday 15th March 2024 by another landlord in the building, I emailed him to ask him to take urgent action on the issue as I had seen mice droppings since the beginning of March, send out Pest Control to assess the property and to carry out repairs in the kitchen to which the mice are gaining access to. I explained in detail where I believed works needed to be done and despite many attempts requesting professional Pest Control comes out to inspect the flat, I was ignored.

Out of the several emails I had sent I had only received 1 vague reply informing that this is an issue in the local area and that ‘someone’ will be sent to put down pest control products.’ (This someone I later found out was the landlord himself).

I needed more information than the vague one he sent, and I had informed him that if he wouldn’t confirm who would arrive and when then I would have to take my own action and arrange for professional pest control unit to come and assess the flat.

I did not receive a reply, therefore I had no choice but to take my own action and arrange an appointment for Pest Control to attend on Tuesday 19 March 2024. I had requested the same Pest Control to inspect my flat as the one that had been booked by the landlord of the flat above mine for consistency and context.

Pest Control confirmed there was a mice infestation in the kitchen and identified the following defects and repairs that needed to take place by the landlord once the rodents were removed:

1. The wall behind the washing machine needs to plastered and completed as it has been left incomplete

2. A panel needs to be put in place in the gap between the washing machine and cabinet drawer

3. Any gaps and holes need to be filled under sink, oven and wall.

On the evening of Tuesday 19th March, I emailed the landlord that after not hearing back from him on Monday 18th to update him that I had no choice but to take arrange my own appointment with Pest Control. I also attached a copy of the invoice and inspection report for him to review, as well as requested the above repairs needed to be made.

He replied to me with “We will be carrying out or own necessary measures to insure there is no rat infestation within the property. We will not be paying for the works that you have arranged”. He also added “As I said, we will arrange for someone to come around”.

Again, this was a very vague reply and did not inform me who and when “someone” would be coming. In all of my emails, I communicated the stress and mental impact the pests were having on me. There was and still to this day is no urgency to solve the problem.

The next day he emailed informing me he would visit the property at 12pm the following day. In the email, he said: “The flat will be assessed tomorrow and works completed where necessary.” This had led me to think that the works as was suggested by the Pest Control company would be fulfilled and I was starting to feeling somewhat hopeful that I would feel safe in my home again.

He arrived with pest control products, despite the fact I had informed and sent him the invoice of the service I paid for professionals to come to the property and lay products down. He became very hostile and defensive, stating that there is no need for him to be in attendance then. I showed him the email he sent me the day before and reminded him that the purpose of the visit - as he said - would be to inspect the property and see where any repairs were needed.

He showed no indication of concern over his tenant, nor did he ask where the mice droppings were seen or inspect what repairs were needed in the kitchen.

He ignored this and accused me of being unreasonable. He did not take time to listen to my concerns and allow me to show him where the repairs were needed. Instead, he told me it wasn’t possible to fix these issues, that he had mice in his house and it didn’t bother him and also indicated I must have something wrong with me because I ask him to take his shoes off before he enters the flat.

He also threatened me with eviction before storming out of the flat.

Please can someone advise me on what steps I can take next? Thank you.

Have you got or could you borrow a cat?

Unfortunately the LL doesn’t have to pay your invoice or indeed take advise of pest control,I would just either accept it or move as the situation with the LL won’t get any better

You need to contact the local Council Environmental Health department and tell them what’s happening. They have the power to force the landlord to deal with the issue. Make sure that you keep all the emails you’ve sent about this issue in case the landlord tries to serve a s21 notice.

1 Like

Hi David, thank you so much for replying.

What is an s21 notice? I did some research on the environmental Health Department and am I right in thinking if they do force the landlord then I am protected from being evicted?

I haven’t done anything wrong to be evicted, is this something that can happen easily?

If you are renting in England, an S21 notice is basically a piece of paper that the LL sends to you as the first step in the process of asking you to leave your home. They don’t need a reason to send you a S21. Currently, you don’t have any protection from being evicted even if you are a perfect tenant. This is what the Renters (Reform) Bill is designed to give you. Unfortunately, it is currently working its way through Parliament and so every tenant is at risk of so-called no-fault eviction and is at the mercy of their LL.

If you really don’t know what a S21 is, then I would suggest you search online for “what is a S21 notice” and read the advice that appears on the Shelter and Citizens’ Advice websites. That is something all tenants should know, whether their LL is likely to send them one or not.

1 Like

Yes, that’s why I was suggesting keeping all the emails requesting him to take action. If the EHO serves him with an Improvement Notice then you would have some protection from eviction using s21 under the Retaliatory Eviction legislation.

1 Like

Thank you for this information. I can see if the s21 is sent then I have up to 2 months. However if I cannot find a place before then then I am advised to remain.

Is there any guarantee that the environmental health department will come out for an inspection?

Also is my landlord expected to kno about getting them involved?

They may not come immediately, but they should come. They will inform your landlord if they need to issue him any type of notice. If the notice they give is for a category 1 or 2 hazard, then it will invalidate any s21 notice he serves, so you could then ignore it.

1 Like

Thank you very much for this information David and your help with the issue.

Apart from the issues above, you don’t seem to have identified how the “mice” are getting in (a) to your flat, but also (b) to the building. Which floor are you on? Unless pest control do whole building it may be a waste of time to do one flat. You will kill a few out but a week later they will be back. Maybe that’s what LL means. The entire building needs to be “excluded” (all access points blocked) and each flat excluded, then poison put down. Then all people living there need to make sure they don’t attract them back. Normally they come for a food source like someone leaving dog food out.

Pest Control have identified that they are coming through holes behind the kitchen units left by previous builders installing.

The wall behind the kitchen unit has been left exposed, so they are entering the flat this way.

As for how they are getting into the building at all is still unknown. Yes, all other flats need to checked, but my primary concern is protecting access into the flat I reside in.

mix of sand and cement with glass in it

1 Like

To complete the wall?

Also wire wool in the smaller holes

1 Like

No for mouse or rat holes