Mice in London flat

Hi,

My tenants have made me aware they have seen a mouse in the flat, which is ground floor and with access to the outside terraces. They have a cat. Is it the landlords responsibility to do something at this stage, or to recommend them buying a trap or poison pellets themselves? The apartment block had pest control around 4 years ago and they blocked up any gaps they found. When I visited the flat a month ago I noticed it was overcrowded with their belongings, there were also cat biscuits on the floor down the hallway. I’ve read mice are attracted to pet food and love cluttered houses as there are many places to hide.

Any suggestions if action I should take will be welcomed.

Thank you!

Does your contract have a clause for pest control?

Is the property is adequately sealed, they haven’t just moved in and there wasn’t an issue before they moved in?

I’d be inclined to say that the mouse is theirs, especially if are are leaving food around.

My own cat ran in with a mouse yesterday. My children mounted a rescue operation and now I believe said mouse is now living its best life somewhere in the kitchen.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your comments. They have lived there for 1.5 years now. Mice haven’t been an issue since they moved in, or before they got the cat. I’m not sure if there is a clause regarding pest control, I don’t think so. It’s just the generic open rent contract. I did put a clause in stating any damage caused by the cat must be resolved before the contract ends though. There are no obvious holes or gaps. We had pest control out 4 years ago in the block and any issues were resolved then eg gaps or holes

1 Like

It’s the landlords responsibility to make sure there is no access by sealing up any holes. After that it’s the tenants responsibility.

I am not disputing David122’s reply but we had to get pest control out on aa few occasions when our tenants got rats as we didn’t want the house destroyed.

We went through the council as they were cheaper than private pest control.

In our borough of the tenant was on benefits and made the appointment themselves there was no charge.

2 Likes

I agree with Mr T. Tenant responsibility in my book usually only means they pay. Its almost always the landlords job to get the job done.