Rodent issue in a flat (and adjoining flats)

I have a tenant in a flat who reported that there is rodent activity in the ceiling/roof. I have contacted the freeholder management team but they are very quick to brush it off with “we have a contract with pest control company who do regular checks”.

There seems to be zero effort to actually try to resolve the issue, not to mention that some of the things they say contradict what the occupiers of the flats say. All the answers are vague and not helpful. It would seem it’s an issue a single flat cannot resolve on their own so I asked if the pest control company could do an inspection and treatment, but it’s all the same answer - “we have a contract with a company”.

After some investigation and tenant talking to the neighbours it seems the issue is also present in the adjoining two flats. So there are three flats in a row, all on the top floor (three floors in total in the block). It’s a flat roof and I think there’s only a foot and a bit of space between the ceiling and the roof covering and probably no easy access to get inside. At least not from the flats or common areas. Also we checked the obvious thing: no rodent activity evidence inside the flats.

Any suggestions or recommendations on how to proceed please? I think it’s the management company’s responsibility to get the pest control in.

I know it’s not a simple issue to fix but the lack of effort baffles me. Am I overreacting?

Hi Marius,
Give your local council’s Environmental Health Officer a call and they will come out and identify the problem and advise what action to take.

1 Like

Hi @Tony9, thanks for the suggestion. Does it make sense to get the council environment health officer in even if the issue is not inside the flat itself? There’s no activity inside the flat, no holes, no droppings, nothing. Just the noise in the ceiling above three flats.

They may find the entry holes outside the place

If it was me I would want to know what’s there anyway, so yes I would definitely call them in, these little sods will eat through anything and you don’t want them coming through the ceiling.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll contact council’s Environmental Health Officer.