Landlord pulls out despite passing reference checks

We have been in the process of referencing for 6 working days. Both tenants have passed referencing and a guarantor. The landlord now says she does not want to move forward due to a ‘costly’ and time consuming process.
How has it been costly for her if we agreed to pay rent from the initial proposed move in date even though we would move in at a later date?
Will we be able to get our one week holding deposit back?
Thanks.

sorry to here… but honestly the majority of landlords no longer want to be landlords, we are selling up.

Yes, you should get your holding deposit back provided you didn’t provide any false information to landlord.

Hard to say why it was costly, they would have had to pay for 3 references but not a reason to pull out if they were fine. 6 days is quite a long time for references so it may have cost landlord their own time and if getting references from you felt like hard work or they were borderline pass landlord may have just decided not to proceed as giving a tenancy is long term commitment and may have thought there may be further issues in future, or landlord may just be being unreasonable…

bonkers really because it will be even more costly for her in both time and money to ditch you and find alternatives. When a LL refuses to proceed with you, the best thing to do is simply request any holding deposit back and move on. There’s no point in trying to persuade them otherwise or in trying to find out why.

This is one reason why I tell all my applicants to keep looking for other properties until they sign the tenancy agreement. I don’t want them to be under any illusions that they’re my next tenant until all is signed, and I certainly don’t want them to waste the time between viewing and signing if it isn’t going to work out. Always keep looking because you never know what might scupper your application.

Are you sharers by any chance, meaning the landlord may have to apply and pay for an HMO licence?