Lodgers agreement

I let 6 rooms in my house, each tenant has a lodgers agreement as I am a live in landlord. Most of my tenants have been there for 1-2 years. In the past month 5 rooms became available due to tenants moving on. I decided to advertise the property as a student let from August/September this year and in the meantime do the 5 rooms through Airbnb and Booking. I have one tenant remaining who is problematic (he is an alcoholic who covers the smoke alarm in his room, smokes in his room, has an electric heater on whilst having his windows permanently open, plays loud music everyday, alot of these breach the terms in the lodger agreement). His lodger agreement states he has to pay 950 per month including bills. A few months ago, I asked him to stop using his heater and to smoke outside and I would reduce his rent to 850 per month including bills until August. The only thing I put in writing to him was via WhatsApp ā€œOk Ā£850 per month until end Augustā€. I have previously advised him verbally that from end of August, he will have to find somewhere else, as it will be a student let not suitable for working professionals.

Since doing B&B short terms lets on the other rooms. Guest have complained about his music and the smell of cigarette smoke in the building. He has a very fixed view that when my houseshare advert says smokers are ok that in his view it means smoking in the room is ok, which contradicts the rules in the lodger agreement. My lodger agreement states I can request a tenant move to another room with one months notice or I can ask the tenant to leave if I serve one months notice.

If I ask the tenant to move from a double room to a single room in one months time or I ask him to leave in one months time. Can I go against what I said to him via WhatsApp that he can stay in his double room for Ā£850 per month including bills until August: ā€œOk Ā£850 per month until end Augustā€,

Thanks,
Dan

I would just ask him to leave and give him one month notice as per your lodger agreement. He should have gone long ago with his continual breaking of rules and antisocial behaviour.

4 Likes