Main front window is broken, tenants not told me

I started renting my property in February. They’ve been late paying 4 times, but they do pay the balance after a few days.
2 months ago I drove past and saw the main front window has been smashed. It’s double glazed and I think it’s only the outside pane that is broken.
I have been waiting for them to tell me about it, which I assumed they would if it was vandalism/not their fault etc. Or, if it was their fault I thought they may fix it themselves - naïve of me!
My question is - I need to get this fixed to protect my property. How do I get them to pay? I’m happy for them to pay over afew months as I suspect they don’t have much savings. I have building insurance but this may prove more costly - losing excess.
They don’t know that I know!

I would contact them straightaway and ask what happened. Assuming they broke it and assuming that they cannot pay. I would tell them that I would get 3 quotes to fix. They can sign paperwork to say they broke it and agree that it can come out of the deposit. I would also do a check of the rest of the property.

2 Likes

Thank you for advice. I’ll type up a form for them to sign & hopefully it will be the only thing damaged.

If I were you I would schedule a full property inspection asap as you don’t know what the state of the rest of the property is.

2 Likes

In general you need to take control and assume nothing. How does a window like that get broken, not by accident, that’s for sure. Start planning to evict these guys, it will get worse every day.

1 Like

If possible, leave the deposit intact in case you need to call on it for other damage. If they have broken the window, take staged payments as you have suggested. If they don’t pay, evict them for breach of contract and make a claim against the deposit.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.