Monday to Friday notice

hello
I am on a Monday to Friday lodger agreement. I gave my notice of two weeks as per contract on 15th Jan and had paid until 23rd Jan. I understood as per terms of Monday to Friday agreement - that my two weeks notice was two weeks of Monday to Friday - as such I would pay an additional 3 days monies to my landlord to honour notice period.
However my landlord has stated its a 7 day notice period - even though I am not staying the weekend and it is used for their family to stay - and wants to take a full one weeks rent out of my deposit.
She states that all termination periods are 7 days irrespective of it being a monday to friday.
Is this correct?
Can anyone help me out on this please

I am not sure I understand what your landlord is saying. You have already provided 2 weeks notice period as per your agreement, and are paying her accordingly. You can ask your landlord to point out where in your agreement states “7 day notice period” as her claim that “all termination periods are 7 days” is clearly nonsense. Sounds like she is trying to pull a fast one.

What is the actual wording about notice in the agreement you have?

Hello

It states that one week is five nights four days. It state two weeks notice is required. Which I have given.
I am querying how you define a ‘week’ on a Monday to Friday rental?
My landlord has just divided my months rent by 4 and stated they are withholding one full week - 7 days - which if you work it out correctly (as indicated on the landlord website) its more than it should be.
Also I gave notice - two weeks - I had paid 9 days already so the remaining notice period is either 5 days monies if you could sat/sun (which are not part of my contract) or 3 days if you exclude and work on a 4 night 5 day week as indicated in my contract.
So either or they are taking more than they should - and the days outstanding should be pro rata’d not just a blanket amount being taken.
thats what i am asking.

I believe it would take a judge to rule on this case. Im not aware of any case law on the matter, but there may be some. I suggest you call the Shelter helpline and see if they can offer any advice that might persuade your landlord. Altrrnatively, you would have to go to court, which would be expensive if you lose.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.