New Rules for Gas Hob Installations

A recent Gas Safety check classified a gas hob as ‘At Risk’ as the adjacent wall cabinets either side of an extractor are horizontally less than 150mm from the edge of the hob. The installation is 15 years old and this is the first time the Gas Safety check has reported this as a problem. 100s of properties at the same development are like this and I suspect 1000s more elsewhere. Has anyone come across this?

My understanding of the rules are that the hot zone extends 9cm either side for a height of 40cm and also directly above for a height of 75cm.

In this instance the hob Installation is ‘at Risk’ because the wall cabinets above are not 15cm away from the hob edge. The cabinets are 50cm above the hob. Effectively, that means you need to have a 90cm gap above a 60cm hob. The hob passed safety check 2018 but not 2019! I’m pretty sure most installations don’t comply with the above so if the at risk categorisation is correct, many, many more will not be compliant.

If that’s the new regs then I’m sure you’re right about many installation being at risk. The figures I quoted came from an AO.com installation guide. I’ll double check with my Gas Safe engineers.

1 Like

Hi there Robert, first thing is always first, with anything like this the first thing you need to do is find the appliance data badge which is usually on the underside of the item which may need the removal of a oven or a cupboard or a draw to see it, in this instance you should have the details on the at risk notice and with the correct details you can go online and download and installation manual from the manufacturer, The reason being is I presume the gas engineer has turned it off because it has failed according to his gas books which are a lot more strict than the original manufacturers instructions manual and the manufacturers instructions manual always takes president Over the gas safe books used.
It is still unclear to me if the property is a rental or not so my advice is limited as I can only presume this is for your own home.
If the appliance in question is offending the regulations according to the manufacturers installation manual then you may want to consider changing the hob type if possible and/or have a good look round to see if there’s any other manufacturer that allows the installation in question to exist.
If it’s a rented accommodation then I would strongly suggest changing the gas for electric and getting a induction hob as whatever the cost is I’m sure it will end up being a lot cheaper than messing around with gas and certificates.
Finally please do note that if it is not a rented accommodation and it is your own home then the category at risk is not as strict as what you may first believe, as at risk is more of a advisory factor if it’s your own home that is as the appliance is not capped please also bear in mind that the installation in my opinion from the little knowledge of your background situation is is that the installation would be categorised as not to current standard rather than at risk as there is a very specific methodical way of classifying appliances and if there is no signs of burning or salt or bad combustion or immediate danger then it would normally just be not to current standards. NTCS
I hope this helps.