New tenant complaining about tops of kitchen cupboards being dirty

Hi
I had a new tenant move into my.one and only rentral last week. I have been renting now for about 7 years and had my fair share of bad tenants and good but except thats the life of a landlord. Anyway to cut a long story short this tenant received the keys from me and we went through each room she was happy with our decussions and decisions. It was a very quick turn over from old tenant to new so there was a few teething issues thst needed to be sorted but nothing major and the new tenant was happy for these to be sorted in.the coming week. Anyway since the 1st October when.the new tenant received the keys i have be bombarded with phone calls and texts. I have emailed the tenant as i felt that having conversations over the phone was not being recorded. I have addressed all the issues and explained certain facts. Anyway she has sent me pictures today of the tops of the kitchen cupboards complaining thst they are dirty and i guess they are a bit dusty but i didnt have a professional clean and honestly did not think of the tops of kitchen cupboards i did make sure the kitchen was clean ie inside cupboards work surfaces sink floor skirting bostds etc. This tenant is asking for a reduced months rent in.fact a month free because of this. Please bear in mind i have resolved any issues such as bathroom flooring being replaced new timer and thermostat which was on.my to do list after the old tenant brought to my attention when leaving. I have stated in the email that contracts were signed and that the house was rented as seen. Just want other landlords thoughts as can see this tenant being a nightmare. Thanks

1 Like

Tenant is trying it on. Dusty tops of kitchen cupboards??!! If they don’t settle down I would get rid at first opportunity. They sound like the ocd type?

Dusty cupboard tops does not impact the use of the property in any single way. As you say they accepted it as they found. If it were me I would not even get them cleaned never mind deduction of rent. If I had a respectful tenant who asked if I could get cleaned i might get it done myself but it just seems trivial.

I tell my tenants all contact to be via email if not an emergency, phone and text if urgent.

Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply much appreciated. I do think I have a princess on my hands. Hoping it will settle down time will tell. To be honest I would not rent my house out if wouldn’t live in myself and to be honest its a great house very modern lovely area. The tenant in my opinion is lucky to have it the way the rental market is nice homes for at a reasonable price are like gold dust. I have stuck to my guns and hoping for the best .

Thanks

Debbie

1 Like

You can offer to go around with hot water and clean it yourself. My guess is this person will always find something in exchange for a months rent

1 Like

Hi Colin
Thank you for your reply I feel this tenant is a bit of a princess. :pensive: hopefully it will settle down but I am not holding.my breath. Grrr

2 Likes

Why not tell her you will come round and do it, but schedule it for a time she is out, then snoop around to find out more about her from documents, etc left around. You might find some things that will help you to decide how long you want her around.

2 Likes

I think that to go into a tenants property and “snoop around” is not only a massive invasion of their privacy, but probably a criminal offence, even if you own the property. If its only the tops of the kitchen cupboards she is complaining about, why not just go in, when the tenant is there, clean them with degreaser spray and then put paper on top of them to stop them getting so dirty again

2 Likes

Hi

Thanks for you reply and I do.like your thinking but I live 60 miles away so it’s not so easy to.pop round. I am hoping that it calms down fingers crossed.

Hi

To be honest I have had the good the bad and the dam right awful when it comes to tenants. The worst was when it was managed by an agent which nearly broke me and my bank balance. It’s my fault for not checking the tops of the cupboards but it was a genuine mistake one I will not make again. I would have been happy to do the 60 mile trip up and back and cleaned them if the tenant had asked but instead of that she started asking for month free rent for a bit if dust and dirt that she was complaining of having to clean. The property was spotless apart from that. As for snooping it’s not something I would do as I wouldn’t like it done to me either but I think that comment was made in jest I certainly took it that way.

2 Likes

I’d get shot of tenant at first opportunity if she persists with this type of behaviour. Its common and sometimes an oversight not to clean the tops of kitchen cupboards. Does not merit any rent reduction and only a polite request for the LL to get it sorted.

3 Likes

Hi

Thank you with your reply and yes I do feel that my tenant is being a bit dramatic hoping it calms down only time will tell I guess. Fingers crossed

Sorry, I didnt realise she was asking for a months rent back. I understand you now. Why not tell her you will clean the cupboard tops for the cost of the months rent?

Ha ha yes that might make her think twice. Just hoping she pays her rent on time and dosent start causing me unmeritted stress.

1 Like

Why not insist she pays by direct debit?

I doubt many use direct debit - you have to use a third party provider for that, at a cost. Standing order is more common.

1 Like

Hi

I have and she has said it’s set up. We will see. My last lot of tenants were great in that they paid on time didnt moan unless it was something urgent. This tenant has literally only moved in the 1st October and has been very demanding and little scary I often wonder if it’s worth the hassle…

Hi Cath

The tenant was given both options with DD or standing order but she has advised me that a DD has been set up. Let’s hope it’s all up hill from now on as the stress of this tenant has been crazy.

Hi

I know that some tenants do try all or anything when they don’t want to pay.

I always carry a cleaning spray and kitchen towel with me when I do inventory and take photos. Also I ask tenants to check again at the same time if they want to take photos and if they say that there is any dust or little mark then I clean at the same time.

I use professional cleaner but people have to understand that at the end of the day we are human and sometimes a very tiny things can get miss.

I have learnt in life that when we find a people like that anywhere, we have to understand that they could make problems in future even we have not done anything wrong. So we have to take extra care and would just say it that all communication will be in writing y emails and even when there is any verbal communication then send the email asap what was discussed.

1 Like

She can’t set up a direct debit without you initiating it through a third party provider (eg Go Cardless)?

She might have set up a standing order?

A standing order is initiated by the payer and they are in control of the amount, which is the same month on month. If the rent increases, the payer has to change the standing order.

A direct debit is initiated by the recepient and can be variable - the recipient asks for the money each month (which is usually automated by the third party provider) and it is taken from the payer’s bank account. The recipient can change the amount for rent increases (having given appropriate notice etc).

Direct debits are subject to a guarantee in that, if an amount not agreed it taken, the bank will refund it and claim it back from the recipient, so they are not a blank canvas for rent increases without agreement!

Hi

Thanks for your reply I do everything my email as this tenant has made mountains out of mole hills. I wish I lived near my property but I have good friends and trades men so normally it get sorted within days. I hope it’s just a blip and things will calm down.