Paying rent on first of month despite different start date

Does this pose any kind of problem legally?

Tenancy start date the 18th of the month. (IE mid month)
Tenant pays upfront pro rata payment for remainder of the first month plus rent for second month in advance.
Subsequent payments are then made on the first of the month.

My logic behind this is that it’s nearer to payday so lower risk of non payment.

1 Like

I think there may be an issue at end of fixed term as assuming you do 6 months ast followed by periodic part of payment would cover fixed term and part periodic which could cause issues and then once periodic the payments and rent periods dont match.

I agree it is sensible to have a payment date just after pay date, i would do an initial term for 6 months and 13 or 14 days (dependant on month fixed term ends) and that would then align the payment date with a periodic rolling rent periods.

1 Like

that sounds like a good way to do it

1 Like

It can get confusing if you ever have to evict with applicable dates. I’d suggest keeping the payment and tenancy periods aligned, but informally agree that you will accept later payment within the month if required.

1 Like

Hello, I rented a property for several years and changed my payment date when I changed jobs. Subsequently when I moved out of the property the final rent amount was just calculated based on the date when I moved originally… no issues.

1 Like