Payment before viewing

Hi everyone , I have never rented before and need some advice. I got in contact with a landlord about a flat. She says she lives in Italy so will be paying the service charges for someone to show me the property but says I have to pay the holding deposit first which is the first months rent. I haven’t even viewed the property yet. She says I pay and open rent will keep it until the tenancy agreement is signed. I don’t know whether to trust this, the place is really nice it’s a great opportunity but I don’t want it to end up being a scam and losing out on that much money. If anyone could give me any advice or if this is normal to pay before viewing and this is how open rent works let me know please. Thank you

Do NOT do it . Pay before you view ? Are you mad? This a load of scam… Wait till you hear the other replies. I am astounded you even contemplate this

A holding deposit is only a weeks rent and is taken after viewing if you want it
The tenant fees act on the government website has a document which you can read

Please never hand over a penny before viewing any property.

Think about it, any real landlord wants to know about you before offering you something worth a fortune. Including credit searches, employment etc

Stop and think is this sounding genuine imagine if she had 10 people all wanting a viewing thats 10x whatever the monthly fee is
Where have you seen the advert was it on OR or was it Facebook Market place?
Have you done any due diligence have a look on Google streetview at the address have a drive passed see if the property is
1 up To Let (if there is a board ring the EA)
2 looks occupied
Possibly even speak to the neighbours but whatever you do DONT PAY
Would you pay Tesco (other supermarkets are available) before you shop?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.