Periodic Testing of Electrical Items

Ok, the thing is , there’s nothing mine there apart from a brand new cooker and an old fridge and a Brand new oven Many thanks

No I am sure I read that pat testing was not obligatory. However if something happened and the tenant was hurt I am sure you would be held responsible. I don’t provide that sort of item myself for that reason but I do have one property with a fridge freezer and washing machine. The hard part is finding a pat tester.

The page below says that PAT testing is a recommendation so, it does’t seem to be legally required. Also, no need to interpret what “portable” means, because if you follow the recommendation to do it, you should do it on “any electrical appliance” that the landlord provides:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector-guidance-for-landlords-tenants-and-local-authorities/guide-for-landlords-electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector

1 Like

Oh my goodness. How much misinformation and confusion here! Unless it’s an HMO, PATs are not obligatory. However, they are advisable. That said, a landlord can do an inspection himself and even the testing if he has the equipment. NRLA has all the details.

2 Likes

Thank you for letting me know :slight_smile: