Permanent Change to Eviction Notice Period in Wales

Welsh landlords will need to give tenants six months’ notice if pursing a ‘no fault’ (aka Section 21) eviction.

The new rules are a result of the Renting Homes (Amendment) (Wales) Bill and will come into force in early 2022. They make permanent the initially temporary changes introduced in July 2020 to help tenants facing the thread of eviction during the pandemic.

In addition, these eviction notices will not be allowed to be served until the tenants have lived in the property for six months. This means the de facto minimum tenancy length for tenants in Wales will become 12 months (six plus six).

Changes in England are also planned, but are not expected to be introduced to Parliament until the pandemic is over.

may be time for Wesh landlords to sell up > I live in N. Wales but am moving back to England as I sense the Welsh Gov are intent on taxing the people more , under devolved powers . .Heartbreaking as as I live in a lovely valley

4 Likes

Meaning those that know the system will be able to live virtually free for 12 months now at the landlords expense, rather than 6 months. Never mind that a landlord may lose their own home due to the tenant failing to pay their rent. In a lot of cases a landlords portfolio is their only income! Landlords have had zero help during this pandemic, yet they pass even more laws to kick us in the teeth when we’re down!
I believe that the Welsh government are hell bent on forcing small Landlords out of the market in favour of housing associations. What they don’t realise is that if we all sell our housing stock there will be more homelessness rather than less. Those that will never be able to/or want to buy a house will be forced onto councils/housing associations who don’t currently have enough stock to house the people that aren’t currently in private rentals, let alone those AND the people that are renting privately.

2 Likes

Housing associations are owed millions in unpaid rent

For a landlord who relies on the rent from tenants to live, they could ultimately lose the roof over their own heads. A housing association will probably get bailed out, a private landlord has absolutely no help and nowhere to go.

1 Like

Absolutley true,Govt look on us as a tax cow, so do your due diligence dont take ANY risks with anyone, no DSS for sure.Ensure you have an insurance against rent default in place.

Always a good idea to take out rent guarantee insurance where possible! Just a reminder that we advise against rejecting all ‘DSS’ tenants out of hand without a very good reason (e.g. your lender permission to let the property forbids these tenants) and recommend assessing each enquirer on their own merits.