Potential tenant with discharged IVA

I am a new landlord renting my house out for the first time on openrent. The tenant I selected after viewings comes up on the references as having a discharged IVA. Openrent advises me not to accept the tenant.

(The tenant was open from the start and said they had credit problems previously but are now clean).

The tenant had several credit cards and loans that he couldn’t pay and arranged an IVA and successfully paid that off in 2019.

Should I reject what otherwise appears to be a good family with the lead tenant in a secure job?

Thank you
Tina

Some landlords will and some will not .It is up to your gut feeling

2 Likes

i gave a chance - with a Guarantor. After a few months, a relationship bust up the tenants returned to type and debt … thank goodness for guarantor. On a personal level, charging the Guarantor for the missing rent payments, the doors kicked in by jealous boyfriends, made me feel incredibly bad. Even today. Guarantor feels i am the bad guy … but hey ho!

1 Like

Thanks Colin and Angelina. Both really good points. I will definitely ask for Guarantor. The family seem quite nice and he has a good job. But obviously that may change. Gut feel and guarantor seems to be a good summary.

1 Like