Private Rented Property Licensing - Southwark Council

My property is about to fall into the zone where I have to apply for selective licensing. In completing the application, I realise that with 3 friends in a property who are considered 3 different households, my property falls into the “Additional Licensing” category as an HMO. I knew about the HMO licence for 5 or more people but somehow missed the one for 3 or more.

In going through all the conditions I need to comply with to rent my property as an HMO with 3 or more people in 2 or more households, I have come across a section about the size of the bedrooms. Southwark council are asking for single bedrooms (for one person) to be at least 8 sq m and one of my rooms is only 6.2 sq m. Are the council going to deny my licence or say I have to have less than 3 people in the house? I’ve just signed a new lease with my tenants for another 2 years.

I have a lounge and a dining room downstairs which are 11.9 sq m and 10.56 sq m respectively.

Any help would be gratefully received. I’m not sure how I missed the drop from 5 people HMOs to 3 people HMOs.

The 8sqm can be negotiated, but theyd be unlikely to allow below 6.51sq m as thats the min statutory bedroom size for a mandatory HMO. At this stage you can only try it.

Thank you David. That is very helpful. Thank you for coming back to me.