Property Viewings

Thank you very much for you input (Mrs) T, it’s nice to know that there are landlords out there like yourself who can understand tenants situations. We have just accepted our fate now and will be going in December. Our landlords won’t allow us to contact them directly as they probably know they’re being a little inconsiderate and don’t want to admit it. Never mind, hopefully our next landlords will be lovely and helpful just like our last ones.

2 Likes

I am advertising flat and even my other flat was empty and I always provided shoe cover and hand senitiser to anyone came to view my property and also remind again to use senitiser. I ask them to put the mask as soon as I meet and if anyon say if they don’t have I would provide one.

Estate agents should give 24hrs notice period before booking any viewings and ask for suitable time as nowadays most people do understand.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply Prafula, and it’s good to hear that you’ve been taking precautions

I am a She landlord. I used to do on call (now retired) I do not think you are being unreasonable at all. Please know that most Landlords are good and reasonable. Yours does not seem to be. I hope it all works out for you and you can find a good property with a better landlord. I would advise avoiding estate agents for renting. I have found them very poor in almost all respects.

1 Like

I hope you do better next time round.

Would have thought if they released you early from the Tenancy they could have as many viewings as they wanted.

Seems your LL wants it all ways and maybe needs to make a decision about what’s the most important to them.

Thank you for your reply Jennifer5. We would love to try and avoid estate agents but unfortunately don’t know of any private landlords. Even on our local Facebook group people ask daily for this and nobody ever seems to know of any. Fingers crossed though and thank you again

Thank you Mrs T and that is exactly what we said to the letting agents but they just change the subject and never know what to say back and I agree with the latter of your comment also!

1 Like

I’m a landlord and currently selling my flat. I have told the agents they can only do viewings when my tenants agree. They don’t touch anything and wear masks.
I work 12 hour night shifts too and whilst not ideal at 9am I would just sleep after. I’m up for about 30 mins when I come home. Viewings take 5 mins

Hi Nadine, thank you for your reply. I appreciate what you’re saying and if that were the case I’d have said of course, but the letting agents wanted me and my partner out of the house until the evening so they could do block viewings until the afternoon

you cannot let strangers wander around your home with all your gear in it and you not be there, they could walk out with anything ! I would say to the agents" WOULD YOU DO THAT?" Agents are only interested in targets and commision

2 Likes

Mr son who is the landlord (hence profile name, I do the managing) is also a tenant and has recently left. The agents were bringing people in and out all day, every day, often at a moments notice. My son was very accommodating and didn’t seem to mind but I think most people would have done.

If your contract ends early December surely they shouldn’t be bringing people to view anyway three months beforehand especially as they have retracted the early release they promised you?

We were on the market to sell family home before lockdown and haven’t gone back on it because of Covid.

Whilst some people are reassured when a paper mask is worn, some people are not and if working with the elderly/vulnerable it should be recognised and accepted that in your case there are special circumstances which everyone should respect if you say you don’t feel,comfortable. Cases are now on the rise again and can’t see this getting better as we head towards the winter.

Can I just say not all landlords can wait for tenants to vacate especially if it’s their only income! I appreciate the situation tenants are in & things fo need to be done carefully but with respect but saying a landlord can’t show the property is wrong. You both need to come to an understanding together. Demand landlords details. You might find they are friendly & happy to work something out. I know several tenants who bypassed estate agent & got hold of a reasonable landlord. Estate agents are. Awful, pushy, etc & often they are not representing what the landlord wants.

1 Like

pushy is the word . Targets and fees are their main aim and like all of us ,to keep their jobs

2 Likes

Hello Colin, this is exactly what me and my partner said and the estate agents didn’t seem to understand. They also asked if they could be viewings whilst we were at work which we said no to for that very reason. At least some people underdtand, so thank you.

2 Likes

Hello Mr T, well apparently they could and would and like you said they’re very pushy and when we asked why could they not do virtual viewings for now and then physical viewings when we go, they were unable to give us an answer.
I hope you manage to sell your property soon, once covid kindly leaves!
You hit the nail on the head with the last part of your comment, we were just saying what if we go into another lockdown because as you said, cases are on the rise, them then refusing us early exit will likely only affect them even more if that does happen but they can’t seem to understand it.

1 Like

Hello Amy, I totally appreciate what you’re saying. The estate agents have actually told us why our landlords are selling up, which goes to show how unprofessional they really are because we didn’t even ask and didn’t even want to know! Both our landlords work full time. We asked for the landlords contact details last week and they were only happy for us to have their email address. They said they have made their minds up and of course their word is final. Until then we will carry on looking elsewhere to move and by the time paperwork etc is complete, it should run into early December anyway.

A standard AST does usually say viewings should be allowed in the final month. The poster has said their final day is 4th December so we are talking three months here.
Rent may well be the only income of a landlord but a Tenants job is usually their only income too!
Surely LL’s should be looking at the broader picture. As she has said, it will not benefit the landlord in the long run if they cannot work through being ill, so everyone needs to be understanding of the situation. It would also appear the landlord has received rent throughout the lockdown which very many haven’t.

The Poster has offered to leave early so the LL can do viewings in peace but the LL apparently doesn’t want that either. If the LL doesn’t want them to leave then there has to be some tolerance of their circumstances which are extenuating in these times. Unless they are meant to find other jobs which fit in better with agents hours and LL’s plans?
It could well be that the agents are not communicating the situation accurately with the landlord but on the other hand it is also possible the Landlords decision is not to take an active role.

I’m a full time landlord with a reasonable portfolio. I don’t think opinion matters here as there’s been a breakdown in trust between yourselves & the agent. Put simply, go through your AST & see what rights it gives the landlord, the agent & yourselves. If there’s a modicum of doubt, contact the citizens advice bureau. They will help clear this up for you. There are rules about permitting access that are reinforced by the AST. The rules exist to ensure fair treatment for all & support your rights to what is known as quiet enjoyment. My only advice is that you keep a cool head and don’t let emotion into your dealings with the agent or the landlord. Oh, & keep everything in writing, even if they don’t. Sending an email confirming a conversation is usually a good idea. Once you’ve established the legal rights of all parties, a solution will be much more obvious. It’s unlikely the all parties will be 100% happy but a satisfactory compromise may present itself. Staying ahead by knowing what the law says along with the AST wording is key to getting this resolved.

I have a 2 bed coming empty this month. i like to wait till its empty before viewings . I can then do any minor repairs etc . When empty of anothers belongings a place is going to look bigger !! We also get a months grace on council tax. I have no mortgages so am not bothered . ( does my face look bothered ?)

1 Like