If someone likes the property, do you cancel other viewings?

Hi there,

Just trying to get help from more experienced landlords: I normally arrange viewings on a single day, one appointment every half hour… If someone likes the house, I‌ would ask them to fill out a tenancy application form so I‌ can contact them afterwards if I decide to take them on. Some viewers want to pay the holding deposit there and then, which I normally refuse because: 1) If I take the deposit, it means I should stop marketing the property and possibly cancel other viewings on that day, which I think may not be fair to those who badly want to see the house (anyway, even if i want to cancel what reason should I give for cancelling at such short notice?)
Secondly, I want to have applications by all interested parties and then choose the most suitable one, based on my criteria such as affordability etc.
However, when I explain this process of selection to those viewers who want to leave the holding deposit, they seem not to like my answer.
Question for other landlords: how do you deal with such a situation? Do you carry on with all the viewings on that day despite someone ready to pay the holding deposit? Do you cancel the rest of the viewings? If you do, what if the next one is a much better tenant (based on your criteria)? Thanks

If they dont like this Thats tough luck . You choose the best one for you. If they get stroppy then they are not the one for you are they? Carry on with all viewings. Thats only fair on everyone else. You stick to your guns

6 Likes

Thanks @Colin3. I doubted myself recently and thought I am not doing the right thing but your answer was encouraging:-)

1 Like

I have been doing this for 40 years and you learn to take what a prospective tenant says with a pinch of salt.

3 Likes

Hi Colin,
I have read your previous posts and know you have a very comprehensive screening list and some long term tenants etc.
Have you ever had any bad experiences in all that time or have things been relatively OK?
Just wondered as you always give lots of sound advice but never heard you say anything about a particular bad experience apart from once where you said you would have been better off with a pig. I know the feeling!

1 Like

Hi mr T I have done ok with tenants. .some live a lifestyle I do not agree with but if they do not disturb anyone else then let them get on with it. I have had a couple of tenants who I have said to . “get out by the end of the week” and they have gone!! But people like that just hone your judgement skills. I am not the sort orf chap who looks back. I look forward. The man who was a pig still paid rent and then left. . I still think I do ok as a landlord , its just I jump thru more hoops

1 Like

Hi Colin, Sounds like a pretty good record for 40 years. Guess some people are better and more suited to it than others - the same as any other job. It’s far too stressful, it’s time to exit for us. I don’t know how people deal with several lots.

1 Like

I had one shop tenant for 20 years Paid on the dot, now retired, I only saw him once a year .Great tenant. next one lasted 4months. I said get out at the end of the week .Re let …next one has been there 7 or 8 years so far… mixed bag of tenants>>I take my time choosing, not worried about 2 months in between tenants. I have no mortgages. It helps being in business for so long as you get to judge people 95% ok

2 Likes

You are obviously good at this job and private landlords will always be required so you are providing a much needed service, but Government don’t seem to see it this way. With this licensing fee councils should set up advice line along the lines of NRLA etc. What is this licensing fee for, do you know?
I gather some of it is to get properties to a decent standard and keep a data base but is that all ? Just wondering as never hear from them at all. No help for decent landlords and such a big fee. If NRLA can provide advice for around £70 why can’t the council provide it for £700. Pointless question, it’s the council!
Liked your comment earlier about looking forward, woken up in a state of stress again over it all, easy to get too emotionally embroiled, but you are right need to look forward as all this will pass eventually.

We market our properties with open rent and have had similar experiences. We have even had people want to put deposits down that haven’t even seen the house. I explain to people that we are doing viewings and then if they can message once we have conducted the viewing if they are interested, and I will then let them know if I would like them to proceed,

I use the advanced screening feature with tenant enquiries. I then text all the tenants that have shown interest once I have decided who to go with, advising if they weren’t successful that if I don’t proceed for any reason I will let them know.
When using Rent now it auto emails everyone when it’s taken, so you can’t pretend :see_no_evil:

Like you say, there may be a few interested people and you can’t just take the first viewing in case the 4th one isn’t suitable. However I pause the advert when I’ve had enough interest so that I’m not having to screen too many, if the first wave doesn’t find a suitable tenant I unpause the ad.

1 Like

If you are getting multiple viewings in a day then you are doing very well.
Never stop viewing until a holding deposit is in place and never take a holding deposit until they pass the credit reference (that is if you want to go through that process) (in some instances, you may not).
In my experience, many do not pass credit reference, which is a waste of our money and not showing to others is also a waste of our valuable time. There is no harm in having multiple prospective tenants in your pocket until you take a holding deposit.
There is a knack in knowing the tenant and to know it will come with experience. Most prospective tenants give a lot of bs stories. Do you due diligence.

1 Like

absolutely right when you see someone who seems ok Make a written note of their answer. If you then start to proceed further with them ,ask the same quetions later on. If the answers are the same ok . If they are different Reject them . Some tenants will lie, (surprising is it not ?)

you have received some good answers here.
this is what i suggest you say

"i am very pleased that you like it, there is no pressure just sleep on it and we can catch up tomorrow. I have promised other people viewings today so i need to keep my word, i’m sure you understand that

1 Like

You can’t judge a book by it’s cover who ever they are and whatever they say on the day. You need to explain the process before you get your potential tenants around. I always explain that there will be no decisions on the day and if any party is interested they should e mail afterwards showing their interest in the property. Also advise that they should have work, Landlord references ready to go and this will help in securing a quick decision…

1 Like

Definitely see everyone, and if anyone gives you grief just think how that person as your tenant will give you that same reaction if anything goes un smooth in the tenancy like eg getting stuff fixed.
Also the credit checks need to be done which will reveal all.

Beware people offering cash, or I have had a years rent offered in advance, very suspicious. You want someone you like or at least can do business with. Its a long term agreement between you.

1 Like

I would explain it’s the procedure:

• got through all the viewings
  • register all the interests (this can be done over a day or even weeks depending on when you are satisfied with the level of interest) and includes info on perspective tenants.
  • inform the chosen person, do background check and get the full deposit before you let everyone else know the place is no longer available. This can easily last 3 days.
    i find aggressive perspective tenants are not a good fit in general.
    it could also mean you are underselling…
    Hope this helps.
3 Likes

Last week had a very persistent prospective tenant & explained I’d had several viewings & I would get back in touch. They went ahead & put a holding deposit on property even though I didn’t want them to. I got in touch with other interested prospective tenants & asked them to go forward. I then went through with them to referencing. Prospective tenant who I didn’t want took the hint & withdrew holding deposit. Go with your gut feeling & don’t be bamboozled by pushy tenants.

2 Likes

Absolutely not. It is your right to chose impartially who you think would be the most reliable tenant based on a number of factors that exclude those covered by equal opportunities legislation. In other words keep your options open.

1 Like

No dont cancel other viewings. Prospective tenants always like the property (even when they don’t). Also be aware that if they leave a deposit through open rent, then open rent stop marketing the property - even if references, etc have not been carried out.

Thanks everyone for their input :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like