Query - Unemployed and looking for new place to rent

Hi, unsure if this is the place to ask this but here goes.

I have been made redundant from my job and I have decided to follow my family’s advice and move up north. Now, I have a lot of money in savings (enough to last me at least a year or two without any income) and I ideally don’t want to look for another job until after the move. However, I am not sure what attitude letting agents/landlords would take to my current position. Generally, I need information about the following:

1. If I told them I was unemployed, yet could prove my ability to pay rent, then would that mark against me?
  2. Are letting agents/landlords allowed to include provisions stating that I need to find employment within a certain amount of time after moving in?
  3. In the event of a move, are they allowed to query/chase whether I am now in employment (and if not), would they consider it a red flag against me (or a potential breach of contract in the event that number 2 applies)?

I ask just in case it takes me a bit longer to find a job than I was expecting (which it hopefully won’t). Obviously, I would like to be aware of this possibility ahead of time.

Thanks for any responses received.

Applying any terms on finding employment within any period won’t happen, it’s simply not realistic or enforceable.

If you have good credit and can offer 6 or 12 months rent in advance and have shown consistent employment for some time you will have increased chances.

Be prepared to offer a guarantor, you should really be looking at offering this in advance with any enquiry you make, it’s massively competitive for tenants, 50 plus applicants per property is typical, you need to have all your ducks lined up when you enquire, it’s especially difficult for DSS tenants.

There are companies that offer a guarantor service if you don’t have someone you know.

Make sure you tell landlord or agent at your very first contact that you can pay in advance, can provide guarantor, have savings etc so that you arnt dismissed for not being employed

Thanks for your response. Yes, my plan was to tell them in the first instance and send them bank statements if they requested them.

I know you said that your preference is to move first and find a new job second, but if I were you I’d reconsider the order. You will struggle to find a tenancy with no job, even with savings, and if you do find something, it likely won’t be one of the better properties or landlords.