Question to Landlords

Hello Landlords, I really wish to ask your opinion.
Me and my fiancé are both working couple, and we have stable income.
As our neighbour’s say we are dream neighbors, because we are tidy, helpful, quiet, friendly.
We keep our house and around our house clean and nice looking.
But we have a big problem in Landlord eyes,why they don’t even consider us as new tenants- we have pets, but funny thing is, that if you would come in our house you couldn’t tell that we have them…
We are so ready to pay bigger deposit as Landlord reassurance but that doesn’t even help….
Reason for looking for other house is leaking walls/roof and mould, but considering that we have 3month old baby we are in hurry to move…
Our landlord don’t want us to leve this house but we asked him to fix leaking issue already for 2,5 and he haven’t done it…

Can anyone please give me a good advice have to find house that we could call home….

There is a huge pet thread already. Read through that one

Go to the Council and tell them about the leaking roof. They will contact the landlord and get him to fix it hopefully. Even if you still move, get it fixed in the meanwhile.

1 Like

O don’t want to go to concil and complain because Landlord is only human as well and mby he doesn’t have money for it at moment, because it can be pricey, as well as I’m not here for getting him in trouble for any thing… not that kind of person… just want to move and keep my family safe…

1 Like

I wasn’t suggesting that you are here to get anyone into trouble and my suggestion was not to that end. I can understand your reluctance to report to the council, but you also say your landlord has not attempted to fix the leaking and mould in 2.5 months.
You say you want to keep your family safe so in this scenario I don’t know the answer as your two claims are not compatible.
As someone suggested there are a lot of thoughts on pets and the difficulty finding a place when you have them.
You could be looking for a long while and all the time your baby and animals are breathing in this mould without a say in the matter.
Maybe you could post on here in which area you are looking to move to and what exactly you are looking for. A long shot I know if there’s nothing on OpenRent already.
You say you say you have offered a bigger deposit. There is a cap on the amount of deposit of five weeks rent so no landlord can take more than this without breaking the law.
The only other way round it would be to offer a small amount of extra rent per month.
Ask around your area and if you use Social Media make use of that too. Invite any local landlords to view your current home, Covid restrictions permitting.
Wishing you good luck in your search.

1 Like

1 kill the mould, that is no excuse to ill health, even if you clean it daily. You are responsible for your health.

2 take photos
3 No excuse the LL cannot afford it, they have an obligation
4 if 3 fails go to the council
5 open multiple windows to ventilate your property correctly, do not dry clothes in doors
Contact citizens Advice

1 Like