Referencing and UC

Hello, I would really appreciate some advice! After a relationshop breakdown I took my children and moved back in with my parents (was on a joint tenancy but landlord was happy to transfer tenancy to him for the remainder).
I am a teaching assistant on a low wage and claim UC but as I am at my parents I am not getting the Housing Element. I have began to look for properties and found a two bed flat which is ideal. The estate agent has put me forward for referencing but now im worried about the fact I may not pass. This is because I will meet the affordibility criteria when Im in the property and getting the housing element but at the moment I fall far short as cant claim it.

My parents can act as a guarantor but they are retired and pension doesnt meet the minimum required- however they are home owners and have plenty of savings. I should find out on Monday if I have passed- what do you think? Im dreading disappointing my children!

mum and dad should be ok as guarantors You have told the agent that you will have further funding when you move?

2 Likes

I have told them. On the phone they asked what I expect to get. I also completed an online calculator and submitted it with my reference in the 'other comments section.

1 Like

Also thank you for the quick reply.

Are you sure you’re not still liable and obligated on the previous joint tenancy?

2 Likes

Good question, we emailed the estate agent my ex has signed a new 6 month tenancy at a higher rate (dont feel sorry for him he cheated on me the whole relationship and paid very little towards the bills)

2 Likes

I have surrended any right to the deposit

you sound glad to be out

1 Like

Just ready to move and give my children a happy safe home life they truly deserve! Just dreading Monday and finding out if I pass the referencing I really dont want to let them down. They are 9 and 12 so know whats going on and even though I have tried to keep expectations down they are really optimistic.

1 Like

if Mum and Dad can do 6 months upfront ,that may sway the landlord. If you fail referencing?

1 Like

I have taken out a loan so can pay 6 months in advancemy plan was to pay it back with housing element of uc

2 Likes

Maybe all is not lost…but I shant celebrate just yet.

I will update on Monday.

1 Like

Should be fine regards previous tenancy then, good to go, good luck with everything.

3 Likes

Thank you both for your experience, I know its ultimately landlords descision so no guarantees but it has helped

1 Like

Don’t worry about letting your children down. It sounds like they are in a loving home with you & their Grandparents. They will be fine. You are doing a great job of looking after them.

3 Likes

Thank you I appreciate it

I’m rooting for you! :crossed_fingers:t3::bouquet:

3 Likes

Oh… I’m not sure that was wise. Could I suggest that your parents pay that off asap for you and, instead, use the savings you mentioned they had to loan you the 6 months rent? That’s if they can afford to do so.

As a LL, if I knew my applicant was taking out a loan to pay for rent and they had guarantors who were not contributing, I’d consider this a far worse option than what I’ve suggested. Firstly, if the guarantors gave you the money, it shows me that they’re good for what guarantors are there for: covering rent. Secondly, I know that loan company will come after you if you default and that puts the tenancy at risk. Your parents are unlikely to do that to you.

Plus, a loan could negatively affect your credit rating which is something you need to keep intact if it’s currently good and you need to look for other properties.

4 Likes

This is the catch 22 situation i found myself in last year after separation. Can’t prove affordability until tenancy accepted by U.C, but couldn’t get housing element without somewhere where I’m paying rent. Like your-self I left family home with 2 kids after my wife cheated, my mum said I should of stayed, especially as this was the second time, fooled once, shame on her, fooled twice, shame on me. As for guarantors, in many years of renting I’ve been asked, but now I have to move again due to LL house being sold, everyone is asking, I have over a decade of excellent LL references, never missed a payment in rent and always kept property in top shape, mostly at my own expense so not to burden LL, but this accounts for nothing these days.

1 Like