Referencing and UC

How did it work out for you Steven?

Not so good you had to take out a loan. Hopefully intrested is not to much. But hey you have kids, so responsibility you do what you have to, fingers crossed you get sorted

2 Likes

Found out today I have secured the flat, such a relief. Thank you for all the well wishes!

11 Likes

I am so pleased for you and yours :

4 Likes

just got back from a tenancy agreement signing choosing a couple expecting first child. chosen out of 105 applicants. The joy in their faces was heartwarming . Really liked them. Made us feel great as well.

7 Likes

Lovely to have a bit of good news here! Thatā€™s wonderful, congratulations!! :raised_hands:t3::tada:

4 Likes

Some companies in my experience (limited that it is) wont accept retired peesons in fact the last 5 that have said they need a guarantor have stated ā€œsomeone who works full time AND owns their own houseā€ I tried explaining that my dad was the only othwr person I have and he is 80 but has savings and they wernt interested (5 different Letting Agents)

1 Like

I have had a retired Guarantor for a younger person no problem, on a good pension

2 Likes

Yeah i.dont see why they wouldnt accept but every agent i spoke to has said ā€œthe ll insists that tenants have a WORKING guarantor who owns own homeā€ one even asked if I had a guarantor BEFORE discussing wether i was employed or anything

2 Likes

Fantastic like a :cloud_with_rain: cloud disappears from above your head replaced by a :sun_with_face:

Thatā€™s no so good. I would imagine if income etc meets the criteria for the guarantor then age should not be an issue thatā€™s Discrimination of not itā€™s a fine line.

The things is i can kind of understand it as if the person is retired with savings and youd efaukt they MAY be able to cover your rent once maybe twice but would they ha e enough to cover multiple payments plus you risk leaving the guarantor in hardship then at least if they are workimg then they have a regular wage coming in

1 Like

Well my Guarantor is very wealthy though in retirement very comfortably, they own their home In an extremely sought for location, and when I view a property they will come to and meet the landlord In person.

Thatā€™s good to hear, my Guarantor is also on letā€™s say a good pension :wink:. Now Colin3 do you think if my guarantor came with me to meet a new potential landlord when viewing a property they it would help securing a new tenancy. After all my guarantor has to disclose personal private information about their financial affairs to the landlord. Now my guarantor and I donā€™t no the landlord, so if anything my Guarantor likes to meet who ever they disclose their financial affairs to. If not it could be possible that the landlord is not above board or what not. Would you tell me you r financial affairs, of course not cause your donā€™t no me. Also my guarantor likes to see the property incase there is any issues with condion etc that may end up in the tenant, me not paying rent. And then leave my guarantor to pay but would be fault of the landlord for not maintaining his property???

Yes, I think itā€™s a very good idea for your guarantor to accompany you on viewings and not just from your point of view but also that of the LL. I have met a couple of the guarantors Iā€™ve had along the way and it always helps to put a face to a name for both of us.

1 Like

Thanks mate I meant that to. So the landlord can meet us and right away they can tell we are good people. My current landlord done no credit check of reference or guarantor just met me once, since I am well mannered, educated and very honest he offered me the tenancy. Maybe I have a gift, who noā€™s possibly gift of the gab :wink:

1 Like

Unless they lose their job. You dont lose a pension

Even if a tenant did lose their job claiming Universal credit housing element may cover the rent if not the tenant may be able to cover the short fall or even claim discretionary housing benefit top up :wink: then either way the rent is covered. I donā€™t think many people would actually put their Guarantor in debit as the tenant and and guarantor should actually trust each other and be honest even be in the same family. No one Iā€™m my family would more or less rip another family member off.etc.

@JeremiahGoatFace the trouble is though I woukd imagine from a Landlords point of view (like i say i am.NOT one) if someone for whatever reason was to loose their job as I am sure you are.aware they wont immediately get UC or any benefit there will be an application period and a period where ā€œyour claim is being assessedā€ all this while the LL is not getting paid rent so if the tenant has no savings the rent will remain unpaid until the claim goes through
Thats where n when a guarantor may help

2 Likes

Thatā€™s correct but universal credit offer you an advanced payment which the claimant can pays back Ā£10 a month or more if they wish. To cover this

1 Like