Registered company address when renting a garden shed

My LTD company rents a garden shed in a residential house, to use as its registered office (with permission from the landlord and other authorities - the office work is just admin). What address must I state at Companies House? Must it be simply the address of the house? or must it specifically state that it is a garden shed in that house address?

Do you have an accountant? You can use their address, though check with them first.

I don’t think the house owner would appreciate bailiffs turning up if it’s your debt (an extreme example I realise). Registered office needs to be a separate address and one you can receive notices etc. Just adding “the shed” doesn’t change the address.

You could also pay for a virtual office instead.

1 Like

If this is a tax avoidance arrangement then I would be very careful if I were you as HMRC could come after you. Is the homeowner aware that it might open them up to having to pay capital gains tax if they sell their home?

Psagot. There are many people who do dog grooming ,Hair dressing in "man caves " in their gardens. I have delivered insulation to quite a lot of them. How about a shed in your own garden? as an office.

I have an office in my back garden and my company pays me rent to cover the space the office takes up and extra utilities etc. It’s perfectly legitimate - I’m an accountant! The income and expenses go on my tax return.

The registered office doesn’t have to be the trading address - it just has to be an address at which company notices can be received. I just use my home address, no mention of my office (which is a bit more than a shed!).

I don’t let clients use my address though - there are plenty of registered office services out there.

Yep agree on Capital Gains Tax - was wading through it today and using a dwelling for other uses is listed as something they look at. Please dont use it as your reg address - I suggest finding a provider for this.

It’s not an issue for capital gains as long as you don’t have an area used only for business. My office is in the garden which I use personally too. Likewise, if you have a home office, I’m sure you sit and pay your bills at the desk too, so it’s not 100% business use.