Rejection after Rejection

I’m looking to move from London to Scotland. Have applied for several properties. Provided all the information for referencing AND Gaurantor details. Yet continually missing out on properties. No explanation given. Landlord just ghosts you for 2 - 3 weeks then informs you that the property has been let. No problems with credit or anything negative that I’m aware of.

What’s going on? And it always seems to be the same referencing agency. I’m not fond of continually providing highly personal information to not get anything. It’s been months.

1 Like

and you’re attending viewings personally at the properties you’re applying for?

To the op. It gets frustration when you apply and dont get considered.

Normal estate agents would give you a look see and if you want to move from london to scitland some do virtual viewings without you havi g to do physical viewings.
However in this respect i woulf question when the pictures and or virtual video was taken so tgat you dont waist cost of trip to see that the virtual viewing or photos dont represent the property in its current state.
Most estate agents have a disclaimer on photos posted

2 Likes

my point was that many LLs (including myself) would not consider an applicant unless they meet them in person. If the OP is unable to do this, I suggest getting waiting until you move up there and getting some temporary accommodation when you first move.

1 Like

Hi

No, I am not doing the physical viewing as it’s just not cost effective when it does not even guarantee that you will definitely get the property. But this is dicussed and agreed beforehand, prior to referencing?

1 Like

A lot of LLs would generally not consider renting to anyone who they have not met in person at a viewing, or at the very least, via video call. But there is a lot of competition for properties at the moment, and I wouldn’t be surprised if LLs favour those who personally attend viewings. Could you schedule several properties to view on the same day to make a trip up to Scotland more worth your while?

Also, it seems strange that you are being referenced a lot - this normally happens after a holding deposit is placed. LLs need to pay for referencing so seems odd that they would pay for this and then not proceed with you. Did you place any holding deposits?

1 Like

If you are not going to a physical viewing then you are highly unlikely to succeed, its too risky for a landlord to not meet you in person, and in addition there is the risk that you might not relocate after all. They will always prefer someone already there. Unless you pay a premium.

Don’t quite understand that… if you’re saying that you think a LL will agree to even start referencing without meeting you, I don’t think you understand the market. All over the country, there’s competition for rentals. You’re already at a disadvantage so it’s very unlikely you’re going to find a LL willing to take the risk of the expense of referencing without having met you when they’ve got so many other applicants they can meet in person.

I suggest that in your initial contact with the LL you are up front about your location and offer to do a video call. If you can also get your current (and previous?) LL references and current and future employer references in advance to provide along with 6 months of bank statements all upon immediately contacting the LL then that at least shows you are ready to go. Having all that paperwork and a virtual face to face is going to improve your chances.

2 Likes