Rent increase offef twice in a month

My tenancy has finished in june2022. I am rollings peridic now. 3 weeks ago his agent emailed me his offer increase for about 100 pounds. I emaild back to agent that i agree but nothing was signed. Today he called me that landlord wants 600 pounds increase. Can he do it?

Landlord can increase rent in this scenario, the increase should be reasonable and inline with the rental cost of other similar properties in the surrounding areas.

You can try negotiating if it seems unreasonable. Is the new rent a fair amount? It does seem like a big increase!

This is the point. It is not in line with market prices. Even if i renegotiate half what is he asking for it will be the most expensive property in this area. It will be like 300 pounds above the most expensive property I found on internet in that area. is there no any gov regulation saying that first offer is valid if was accepted by tenant?

You would need to goto first tier tribunal if they will not negotiate.

It’s important you do not stop paying rent at any stage.

It sounds like they want you to leave, it seems very unreasonable.

The first offer is not binding, they are free to increase.

Pick up the phone and explain that its way above market value and that the increase is not reasonable. Reiterate you accept the first offer.

To be honest, I think you should consider moving now, they are clearly unreasonable and it’s unlikely to get any better.

I told them this, but they said landlord changed his mind.
Can You please explain to me in short how does the tribunal work, low long does it take?
Will I have to pay back the difference in rent if I lost in tribunal?

It’s hard work. In my opinion you are better off moving.

I don’t believe any rational LL would increase by this amount and expect tenant to stay. Consider what their motive is.

1 Like

I have some suspicious that landlord had asked for first offer that was accepted by me. Now agency want make some money on the side. Charging me more then LL asked for. Could it be true?

1 Like

Yes that’s possible. They are taking a big risk though. Are they a small new independent company or established with a good reputation? They would bound to get discovered though if it were the case.

Can you speak direct with landlord to confirm?

It’s these kind of LL or agents that give most landlords, who are decent and fair, a bad name.

1 Like

They have few branches in London. Not big like Yourmove but not one office.
I have contact to LL but not sure if I should contact him in case i am wrong with my suspicious.
Do You have any idea how should I approach LL to check with him to avoid agency being abused by it if I do it behind them.

You can’t beat a phone call if possible and then mention the new figure. If it’s not his figure he will say.

Or email, just reference the new price and say you feel it’s not reasonable and not market value etc, and that the first price increase is reasonable and you can afford it.

You could say you wanted to make sure it was correct

1 Like

What are similar properties going for in your area it’s that simple. If the raise is excessive just talk to agent or landlord to discuss, maybe they meant £60 ?? If not do tribunal but continue paying reasonable amount in interim or you can just leave. Weirdly u can leave on last day of tenancy without any notice. One local council used to love to tell my tenants that and that makes it really and unnecessarily difficult for the landlord

Even if he reduce increase in half it will the highest rent in the area. If he does not reduce his increase in half eviction process will have to take place. It is beyond professional behaviour. I am pretty sure that agency wants to make money on the side. Landlord has 50 properties all in that agency.

I would doubt that its the agency, but you can check by contacting the landlord directly if you wish. You can either ask the agency for his address or use the land registry website to find him.

I have Landlord phone number and I will call him after agency comes back to me with contr offer. You as a landlord would u change your mind and offer 600 increase after giving 100 pounds increase within a month time. If Landlord confirm his 600 pounds increase eviction process will follow. I Will not be paying him anything for 6 months, eviction process. Yes, agencies do that tricks to cheat Landlords espentially if they have many properties and trust agencies in full. Agencies even have one system to show Landlords and another one for tenants.

1 Like

Why would you stop paying your rent during the eviction period? You’re still occupying the property. You should understand Piti that there is a housing crisis in the country and more and more landlords are selling up. This makes it very difficult for tenants to find accommodation and landlords are being very choosey. Your reputation as a tenant is everything.

1 Like

Not paying might sound good as a revenge but it will harm you on the long run. I suggest you to sleep over it and think throughly. Asking £600 is not ethical based on the market value (I trust your statement) but not paying is not ethical either. If you come to me to apply for tenancy all I see is: you did not pay your rent on your last tenancy and I will not consider your dispute with your landlord in your favour as two wrongs do not make one right. I hope you take my advice and I wish you good luck.

1 Like

It is because he originally offered 100 pounds increase that was accepted. Then suddenly apparently he changed his mind to 600. It can not be like this 600 is out of moon and far above area prices.

I thought that it is tenant forum not landlords. You as a Landlord would u offer rent increase twice in month time?
Is it ethical? Or professional?

Its an open forum for tenants or landlords. It wouldn’t be much use as one without the other.

I understand that the £600 is unfair, but if your response is to do something unlawful, (such as stop paying your rent), then no landlord will ever give you a chance again.

1 Like