Rent refund question when house was sold

Hello all !

Hope your all well!

Just a general question.

Our old landlord sold the house we where living in , no drama we where lucky in such as the chap who brought it wanted to rent it out so he took over !

New contract ect payments direct to him rather than the old way which was trough a letting agent

Question is for example… We used to pay our rent in advanced 1st of the month, to cover that month ect, the new owner took ownership midway through the month , would we not be entitled to half of that month’s rent back ? As we paid the new landlord what was owed ect.

I feel the letting agent/old landlord got 2 week’s rent from us for nothing on a house he no longer owned

Have you ended up paying more ? If not, then it is between the old and new landlords, surely ? Presumably your 2 weeks rent was passed between the 2 sets of solicitors and nobody should be out of pocket.

1 Like

Your tenancy hasnt altered so regardless of when you normally pay the rent, your tenancy periods are the same and any rent you pay should cover the same monthly periods. If you think youve overpaid then say a little more about why.

When I have bought houses with tenants in, the solicitors dealt with part months on the completion statement. Tenant pays last rent to the old landlord, and then the next month, on the normal due date, to the new landlord. Should not affect the tenant at all, apart from changing where you pay the rent to.

1 Like

the 2 lots of solicitors should have sorted it out

1 Like

To provide some more information

Was with a landlord in a rented property paid ex amount per month to an estate agent who where acting as the managing agent.

Managing agent where useless and are well know for it , but it is what it is !

Landlord decided to sell the property we where in and listed for sale via another estate agents, current landlord did not provide much detail and left it to the managing agent, due to issues with the leasehold of the House (means nothing to me ) house proved hard to sell and in the end the estate agent that listed the property the owner of said estate agent ended up buying the House, it was a mutual agreement we would stay in situ!

House sale all went through ok and we signed a new tenancy with the new owner and it was agreed the new landlord would deal with everything direct rather than using a middle man!

No issues moving forward, however my question is we paid a month’s rent up front to said managing agent, the sale of the new house went through midway through the month and we started paying new landlord, my understanding is no money was given to new said landlord.

Would we not be entitled to around 2 week’s rent back as the house changed hands around midway through the month?

Hi Cath thanks for the response, the new landlord is very nice and relaxed about it all although we he is all up to date with contracts ect.

He basically stated he received no extra money from the old landlord in regards to the 2ish weeks of rent and just what ever the house sold for , I suppose on the grand scheme of things £300ish is nothing when It comes to buying a House, he basically said if we can get that money back we can keep it ! I feel it’s a loosing battle though

If you have paid the right amount of rent, then it’s really up to the old and new landlords to sort out between them. I don’t see what your argument would be for getting money back from the old landlord unless the new landlord was trying to charge you again for the same period.

Does your new tenancy have different dates to the previous one or are the dates just continuous from the old one? If the dates are different then yes, you may need to seek a refund or adjustment of funds youve already paid.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.