Replacing Windows - Rental Property

In older timber windows the space between the 2 panes was narrow., about 6mm . In modern plastic windows the space i about 3 times as wide . More energy efficient savings

Looks like blown double glazing units. I was told that cheaper units have a lifespan of approx 10 years. The internal timber looks ok. What is the condition of the external timber? Especially sills and any horizontal sections? If they have not been well maintained or rotten, you will end up throwing more money at it and may need to replace whole sections. Hardwood timber windows are only good if the frames are properly maintained. As Colin says, uPVC much less hassle if you are not constrained. Some better installers do very good timber effect frames.

Thanks again for all the replies. External timber is ok.

I guess the main issue we’ve got is the landlord is convinced that keeping the heating on will solve this issue and doesn’t really comprehend the issue of the windows being blown.

It’s a catch-22, we don’t want to force the issue to the extent that it causes a strain on us living in the property, but at the same time, from what I’ve read and the replies on here, it seems like it’s something that she should be looking to repair.

1 Like

Is it really still an E. Its D in England to be a C in 2025. New inserts are not as costly as full replacement so she is making a rod for her own back. The upkeep of a property should be foremost on any landlords minds as well as ensuring the wellbeing of their tenants. She wouldn’t live like that so she shouldn’t expect you to. They give landlords a bad name.

2 Likes

Ironically woken up by the noise of our neighbours replacing their windows today.

Hoping to get a word with them and get their reasons for replacing. It might sound daft, but my worry is this is turned on us.

No amount of heating will fix the problem of the misting between the panes. Guaranteed.

1 Like

Not much further down the line with this to be honest. I made further steps to communicate today. I’ve removed any names etc.

Have you contacted citizens advice or Shelter for guidance on this? (Sorry if it’s different in Scotland - but surely there’s tenant advice groups there as well)

The landlady is required to make repairs and I’d expect those qualify. I believe you could contact the council about this, but citizens advice or Shelter will have more info to the process.

1 Like

I’ve not consulted with them, though I believe that option is available in Scotland. The email there was to give a final opportunity for the landlady to resolve and from there I’ll be able to gauge if I need additional advice from the likes of Citizens Advice. I’m hoping for a reply fairly quickly, though experience should have taught me that it’s unlikely to be the case.

Thanks for your reply Ryan.

Week or so on from my last post, unfortunately things have reached the point where I think we will be handing in our notice.

Landlady visited Monday, proceeded to show me properties in the vicinity that have damaged windows, told me about putting the heating on (it’s Scotland in February - it’s on), tried to shift the blame on us for a bit for not having the windows open for longer per day (it’s Scotland in February).

One of the glazing companies came in and instantly remarked ‘they are f****d’, and commented the damp was at an unhealthy level.

I’ve bought a big dehumidifier tonight, I appreciate the damp in the air is a consequence of the flat being poorly ventilated and the windows not being open for long enough, happy to take part of the responsibility on that.

What’s now happening though is the landlady point blank refusing to assist. Absolutely fed up and the place I’ve loved being home for over two years now is somewhere that presents a risk to our health.

1 Like

Have the glazing companies given you a write up confirming it? Send a copy to your landlady.

Have you looked into how you can contact the council about this or any of the tenancy support agencies or citizens advice?

1 Like

I’ve taken it to Citizens Advice, the reports on the damaged windows have been sent to the landlady. Along with a lengthy, fair but firm email. Here’s hoping it makes a difference.

2 Likes

I can never understand why a landlord does not keep their property in a decent state of repair

3 Likes

It’s really getting to me.

I’m so fed up of her shifting the blame, she’s incapable of listening it seems.

Sent an email today that I’m really hoping demonstrates that I’m now at the stage where if the repairs aren’t carried out then I’ll be handing in our notice. Last week I bought a large dehumidifier as I’m aware that the longer this situation goes on, the worse the situation will get - we both work from home, so it seems crazy she thinks we should just accept these poor conditions.

In addition, it’s not as if had we to move out, this problem would go away. Nobody is going to be willing to tolerate this.

2 Likes

Some people cant be persuaded. Time to move on.

1 Like

If only it were that simple. Having to uproot because the person responsible for the property doesn’t follow their own rules is a lot of nonsense.

1 Like

Give the Council a call. They may be able to serve an improvement notice.

1 Like

Hi Scottish.
I feel your frustrations.
I moved into a flat with single pane windows.
Didn’t realise what that actually meant.
I remove 300 - 500ml’s a day from the windows and cannot afford to keep the flat heated.
So now I have learnt to live at 11 degrees for now
Alas, i fear i will have to move on too.
I’ve only been here 2 months!
At least i have a good view.
Have to look at the positive in this situation.
Good luck with yours.
It has been great reading all the comments. Thanks.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that Andrea.

I don’t want to share any private conversations and correspondence of course, but the situation came to a conclusion tonight.

The landlady listed - A leaking boiler, the inner lock on our front door having to be replaced as the locking system was 40 years old and a new hot water timer in her point that I was causing issues for her. Ludicrous chat, and I did well to continue to deal with her in a polite manner.

Anyway, I’ve rejected the offer of agreeing to a rent increase in order to have the windows replaced. The report from the glazing company says: We can confirm that these double-glazed units have all failed (the seal has broken down with condensation in the middle of the sealed units).

I don’t subscribe to perception that landlords are out to just take advantage, and just like in every other walk of life, you’ll deal with good and bad.

Sadly for us, we’ve had to deal with the bad.

1 Like

All I would suggest, is that you keep all correspondence and copies of reports from window companies, in case landlady tries to allege & deduct damage from your deposit

1 Like