OpenRent Community

Right to Rent Attacked by High Court

Originally published at: https://blog.openrent.co.uk/right-to-rent-attacked-by-high-court/

A verdict of the High Court has slammed the Government’s Right to Rent scheme, calling it “discriminatory”, with “little or not effect” on immigration. This comes after a case brought by the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants. They presented evidence that, in cases where tenants could not provide a UK passport, landlords were…

I have no problem with right to rent checks. If they are illegal I do not want them in my property. Not everyone has a passport but but there are other ways to check ie hmrc letters. If they pay tax then they have the right to work also bank accounts have checks. Too much interference from people who earn a very nice living fighting for no good reason.

I always seek appropriate landlord/bank/employer references from prospective tenants and consider that most effective. Right to Rent checks are a product of anti-immigration prejudice reinforced by a right wing government’s inflammatory “hostile environment” policies. Policies which have contributed to the epidemic of hate crime this traditionally tolerant country is having to endure.