Temporary heating

My flat is heated via an airflow unit rather than hot water. The airflow unit is currently not working so the tenants have been provided with plug-in heaters as a temporary solution. The airflow unit is controlled by the buildings main airflow system which in turn is maintained by the building management company. The problem has been ongoing for almost two months with the management company being very slow to send engineers.

I am concerned as the tenants have complained that the plug-in heaters are not suitable; they make the space either too hot or too cold so sleep is difficult.

Frustratingly my hands are tied as I cannot speed up the repair process. Is there a limit to how long temporary heaters can be provided to tenants? Would a rent reduction be appropriate if the problem persists?

If the plug in heaters dont have thermostat you can buy plug in thermostats with a timer which should enable a suitable temperature to be achieved.

I think a reduction in rent is reasonable, it is likely to be costing your tenants a lot to heat the property given electricity prices, while its not your fault it is understandable your tenants aren’t happy.

Provide oil filled heaters with built in thermostat. Problem solved.

Low risk in terms of fire.

The fact that neither you nor the tenants can control the heating, (which is an HHSRS requirement) means that this property is not really suitable for letting.