Tenant Fines and prosecutions

You sound like a very bitter tenant.

The majority of landlords are dedicated to providing safe, sanitary and comfortable accommodations. I, and I’m sure many others, would not expect to rent any property we were not prepared to live in ourselves.

Please don’t tar all landlords with the same brush as some you may have experienced. It’s unjustified and uncalled for.

4 Likes

exactly …I have lived in two of my places in between house moves When I renovate I do it to a good standard so that I do not have to go back to replace stuff in a years time

4 Likes

Us, the hard working tax payers!!

I appreciate it was a rhetorical question, but I couldn’t help myself… :wink:

It’s a refreshing change to hear a tenant with a sensible and sympathetic attitude towards landlords private rental sector. :pray:t6:

I’ve just had an operation on my spine, to remedy the damage done over the many years of hard graft on my properties, but most tenants think it dropped in our laps.

Contrary to Mazty’s opinion I present my properties to the highest standards, even going as far as incorporating almost cinema standards of sound insulation, with heavy isolation floors and acoustic ceiling hangers with heavy sound boards, hence the back problems. I could have made Colin a rich(er) man with all the insulation I’ve put in for that purpose and the usual comfort / environmental reasons.

4 Likes

That is correct. Fair wear and tear. You sound like you don’t want the responsibility of being a landlord, but want the money. Can’t play it both ways. If you own a property, you need to keep it in good repair, if you rent, you need to keep the house clean and tidy and carry out small repairs of thing you damaged ie when you move, fill the holes made in the walls.

4 Likes

The insulation makes a difference ,tenants say its warmer even without heating . I have done floors inbetween flats In fact my places all have an EPC rating better than the house I now live in. !! Ironic or what?

4 Likes

I too object to your comment.
I provide brilliant houses for my tenants and I care about their welfare too.
I just wish the government wasn’t so sledgehammer to crack a nut with addressing the problems of rogue landlords. I have 3 friends who like me rent a few houses to top up our pensions and we have never caused any detriments to our tenants and have bent over backwards to help them. We feel if you have to rent, at least you should be treated properly and have a decent home.

6 Likes

Thank you Jennifer for the views of the silent majority of landlords. Tenants think all their rent is pure profit, but the monthly returns over investment and effort are actually quite low for the better individual landlords.

4 Likes

Ooh, Mazty that’s harsh. Most landlords bend over backwards to meet these requirements and provide a decent home. I hope you’re not lumping me in with your broad assumption of landlords seeing as you know nothing about any of us on this forum.

4 Likes

We always get these sort of people making coments out of ignorance . water off a ducks back as far as I am concerned . usually we never hear from them again

5 Likes

Quite the contrary, I take my responsibilities very seriously, and treat my tenants fairly.
I think you are getting confused since it was you that was suggesting landlords could expect vacating tenants to renew decorations etc. to the same condition as you presented at their initial occupation. I was simply pointing out that you cannot, due to the fair wear & tear policies applied by the courts and DPS.

However, I do agree they should, as in Europe, be made to reinstate the property to the same condition as they were presented, I understand it is a requirement in some countries, for the outgoing tenant to redecorate, clean or replace carpets etc. After all, it’s the tenants that have had the beneficial use and wear, over their tenancy period, so why not. Also if it is something the tenant has influence over the treatment of, regarding their care or misuse of, then they should be made responsible.
Safe and sanitary property in a good state of repair is one thing, but clearing up after dirty / inconsiderate tenants is quite another issue.
Hotels run a 5-7 year renewal policy, but they charge a considerably higher amount for the privilege of staying in their rooms. Using the same criteria for long term residential letting property is, quite frankly, ridiculous. The government bodies that set such unequable standards, are simply clueless.
I lived in my last house in the UK for 14 years, and it only ever required a light freshening up of the decorations once, and one instance of carpet cleaning in all that time, and no new kitchens, carpets, curtains or blinds required.

4 Likes

Who’d ever believe it, from an entitled, profiteering landlord… :wink:

2 Likes

A two way mutual agreement? Haha, that’s a good one. On the one hand, someone is wasting thousands of pounds a year on rent, while the other person has their mortgage paid for on a house that’s gaining value. The landlord is in a significantly better position than a tenant every time and if you don’t want to pay management fees, then manage the property yourself or don’t rent it.

As for the people talking about damage, this is Why inspections and deposits exist. Amateur hour going on here.

Does the rent cover your mortgage? Yeah, you’re making 100% profit, and then some extra given that the value of the property is almost guaranteed to increase.

You obviously have a blinkered and biased opinion, or simply don’t understand the business investment, hard work and risks involved in being a landlord.

Deposits, don’t make me laugh. You obviously haven’t got a clue. Try owning your own home, if you’ve got the guts and determination, then you’ll find out just how insignificant those capped deposits are.

And, No, you’re not paying my mortgages, since I, and many others, only pay the interest, and rely on market increases and forced appreciation by way of enhancements, to ultimately cover the capital invested and borrowed. Like I said, you haven’t got a clue.

I did manage my own properties, and carried out most of the repairs on 24/7 basis of availability, but it’s a little difficult now I live thousands of miles away…

6 Likes

No such thing as 100% profit as a landlord… To gain 100% profit the object has had to be FREE in the first place .Then when sold for £1 or 100k £ it is 100% profit

5 Likes

tenants do have a choice, they can work, stay with parents longer, save up , get a mortgage and buy their own place >To buy is better than to rent. Some people like to move to different jobs and different areas so renting suits them. . Then others spend their money on anything but a mortgage, their choice, OR you can be like myself and others ,work a couple of jobs, be blessed with good health, lots of work, decent workmates , good kids who work with you. Then you become very well off, but it can take time… Many people think the world owes THEM. Not so

4 Likes

You buy an apartment for £250k. 20 years later after renting it for that entire time, it’s now worth £600k. Even after expenses, given that the rent covers the mortgage, the landlord will have made over 100% profit. Finance understanding seems quite poor for some landlords.

And if the parents live somewhere that their child cannot find employment, or have downsized, the idea of living with parents is extremely outdated.

I really feel you shouldn’t be a landlord if you seem to think having people pay your mortgage is difficult and not extremely profitable.

I don’t really care what you think, nor did I say it wasn’t profitable. As for your perception of financing, I repeat what I said before, you haven’t got a clue.

I own 21 properties, 3 of which are on a beautiful tropical beach in Thailand, and I haven’t been formally employed since 2002, i.e. semi-retired at 45, fully retired at 58, so I think I know what I’m doing.

What about you, still renting? Can’t work out how to finance your own home? Just too lazy and scared, or maybe you just enjoy the freedom to do what you want and go where you want at the drop of a hat, by relying on us landlords to provide you with a roof over your head, probably at our, the tax payers, expense via housing benefit… Another armchair expert…
Perhaps you would care to “declare your interest”, in the topic of the same title…

4 Likes