Tenant left a big hole through an internal wall

A tenant left a big hole (13 inches wide) through an internal wall between two rooms.

This particular tenant has caused some troubles. He sub-let my house to someone for 6 months without my consent (only told me after he checked out and when I said that I would check council tax and utilities companies, because he changed accounts’ name to this sub-tenant).

He seemed attract gangs and police visited a few times. I don’t know the details.

I can smell a faint smell of cannabis in porch and one room.

He moved furniture and hid the big hole behind the furniture. I only discovered a few days later. Looking like someone smash the wall and resulted the hole. Although he filled the hole, I am not sure whether he just did it superficially. Because the hole is big (13 inches wide), I am worried it may affect structure integrity of the wall.

I plan to get a structure engineer to check it. Did a quick search, the cost inc. VAT seems around £700. They only quote on house. One side of the wall, the wall is painted; the other room was wallpapered. To fix it properly on both walls, I added £300 for painting/wallpapering. This takes total cost to be deducted from deposit £1,000. Is this reasonable?

am i reading this correct ? a 13inch hole repair A structural engineer for that and the total is £1000?

I don’t know. That’s why I am asking. Never come across this before. Who should I ask for a quote? if this is too much.

way too much Just ask a local buider for a qoute . If you are trying to claim , you need 2 estimates Forget the structural engineer,

1 Like

Sounds like a cuckooing situation.

1 Like

doubt it, the person being cuckooed doesn’t normally have the wherewithal to change the names on bills to the cuckoo!