Tenants from overseas

I have a couple from overseas African that arrived in the country just 3 weeks ago, and are both working as carers, they have a baby and are very interested in renting one of my properties. I have never had enquiries from anyone btw to the UK, so I need help as to what is legally required, as upon reading it all seems very complicated, can anyone please advise.

The key is the Right to Rent check - which is easy enough to do, you ask them for a ‘share code’ & birth date & the Govt website will tell you whether they have the right to rent & for how long. Without this, you cannot rent to them.

Usual references & credit checks are going be impossible to do, so you would have to decide how to approach this - maybe something from their employers, maybe seeing bank statements, maybe taking 6 mnths rent up front.

I would be concerned how they will work & care for the baby & afford the rent.

I’m trying to rent a flat in Leeds, demand pretty low unusually…but anyway I got the same a carer from Africa who wants to move in with her sister both on £22k. So affordable for them but do you still think the reference will come back negative. Won’t the open rent reference pick up the right to remain and this code.
. also the lady has a 5 year old back home who she is hoping to bring across… is the overall advice best to avoid… or if did get rent protection insurance?

Phil

There would be nothing to reference so you’d be wasting your money purchasing the Openrent referencing service. You can easily check Right To Rent yourself as per what Tricia said. I also agree that you should ask for proof of employment and funds/savings, and maybe 6 months rent upfront. You’re unlikely to get rent protection insurance due to lack of referencing.

These kind of applicants are increasingly common as the govt looks to plug gaps in the healthcare workforce. I got my own for the first time in February. They were excellent applicants and it helped that they had a healthy bank record as well as savings. That’s also been in the UK for 18 months too.

If you proceed, don’t forget that right to rent has to be checked repeatedly. It’s not just a once off.

Thanks all… I think on balance I might say no for now as it’s only been on the market for three weeks - just can’t take the risk these days with getting possession been so hard. It feels a bit tough plus one of the applicants is only 22.

interesting… three weeks without finding a suitable applicant would be a long time for me …