Tenants with pets mid tenancy

Is it acceptable for a tenant move a pet into a property mid tenancy without advising landlord?

Although I would not refuse the joy of keeping a pet to any tenant I feel a little upset that I only found out about the pet during a routine inspection.

Would like to have opinions as to whether this is “normal” and acceptable. Thank you

It depends what your tenancy agreement says. Mine says no pets, so it would not be ok with me. If your contract is silent on the matter then no permission is required.

1 Like

HI David122

Yes - my AST specifically stated no pets -

Thanks your advice.

If you “would not refuse the joy of keeping a pet to any tenant” why does your tenancy agreement state no pets? A bit of a contradiction.

Because when an Open Rent AST is issued - it includes the clause relating to pets. The tenant was asked and stated that they did not have, nor did they foresee having pets. In my opinion it is common courtesy for the request to be made - upon which - the request would not have been refused.

3 Likes

That’s out of order and they’ve broken the terms of their tenancy. I wouldn’t let it go, partly because if they’ve done this what else can’t you trust them on?

1 Like

Hi @Victoria2 something similar happened to me - tenants got a cat at some point or maybe even before the tenancy started but there was no mention of it at all, despite the standard wording on the Openrent AST about no pets. I had no idea until a year later when I was conducting viewings for new tenants as the cat owning ones had given notice to move out (they are buying a place). Since they are moving out anyway, AND the property also looked to be kept in good condition (let’s see what the checkout/inventory report says!), there didn’t seem to be any point in mentioning it to them.

Generally, I believe that tenants must ask for permission from the landlord as otherwise they would be breaking the terms of the agreement. If there’s no mention of pets in the AST, then as a courtesy, they should still let their landlord know that they are bringing a pet mid-tenancy. In your case, you could end the tenancy if you wish, or if the tenants and pet are acceptable to continue, then just politely inform them that you should have been informed and that this is a breach of their tenancy agreement but that you would be willing to continue provided they fulfil all other tenant obligations as per the contract.

1 Like

Absolutely not!

I have had it more times than I care to remember, and it always costs me, without exception, to rectify the problems caused by untrained and uncontrolled pets.

What’s more they lie into the bargain, usually claiming they are only looking after it for a relative / friend for a short time, whilst the owner is unable, for whatever spurious reason, in the hope I won’t come back and catch them with it again.

Others simply refuse to get rid of the pet, and openly flaunt the contract rules dismissively.

Then pet owning tenants wonder why landlords refuse pets…!!

I actually feel sorry for the pet, since it is the tenant owner who does not control and clean up properly around their pet, but the poor dumb animal gets the blame.

2 Likes

Well if its a house and you have access to outside its not so bad, i have added dog flaps on some houses if they are decent tenants. On a flat i do take issue as its not fair on animals (personal opinion)
legally i have state no pets clause - then you can relax it if you see fit. However govt are moving towards you must take pets.
Reality is if you dont want pets ask them to get rid but if they say no there is little you can do in practical terms as it will take a lot of time and maybe money and maybe lose good will with your tenant. Its all in favour of tenants today im afraid, too much so

2 Likes

With the proposed repeal of S.21 it will be interesting to see how landlords will receive redress for breaches such as this

I agree with Chris 35, I have allowed a pet and regretted it, the owners do not treat the dog properly , just kick it out in the back garden for its toilet, 50 dumps later it must be walking it in. You can simply increase the rent, because it will cost you in the long run.

1 Like