Unpaid service charge

I own a flat in a block of 5 and each owner pays a monthly service charge. One of the owners who rents out his flat hasn’t paid the service charge since we changed bank account several months ago. There has been no response to emails and we’ve been unable to reach him by phone. Could anyone advise what action we need to take please? Thanks in advance.

Get a solicitor to put a charge on the property so if and when sold the costs will come out to be paid in full before the owner gets the balance

Thanks Colin, I was hoping there would be a middle step before getting solicitors involved, but I think I’m probably just too nice! Can a charge be put on the property without knowing the non-payer’s home address? Can it be served by email or place of work for instance?

Thanks

there may be a middle step but I do not know it . !0 years ago I bought a property for my daughter that had a charge against it as he had not paid the service charge for years So I paid for the property and what he owed for the service charge was removed and paid before he got the remainder. I know this happened because the conveyancer told me This of course was done as a back stop, if he had paid in the meantime the charge would have been lifted A solicitor can answer the other points. I do not know the finer details P S Apart from suing in court

Thanks Colin.

Anyone else aware of a middle step at all?

Its only the freeholder, or the management company on their behalf that can take action against a leaseholder. You should contact them in the first instance.