Urgent advice needed

Im after some advice for my 70 year old mother in law. She is living in private rent and has been for the last 24 years. The landlord is an ex family member. She pays very cheap rent and has never signed any paperwork so no contract. He refuses to do any work in the house based on the fact she pays cheap rent, this includes servicing the boilers, gas fires, landlord safety check etc. the house needs rewiring and he refuses to do it and says its her responisibility, he expects her to cook for him twice a week swell. He comes and goes as he pleases in the house without asking permission, this is on a daily basis, sometimes walking in when she’s in the bathroom. Last week, my M.I.L and him had a bit of a difference of opinions and he verbally attacked her, and really scared her, shouting, screaming etc and treating to put the rent up and up and up if she doesn’t like it. This isn’t the first time this has happened and she feels very vulnerable in her own home. She really wants to leave but can’t really afford to, we’ve said she can come and stay with us temporarily until she can find something else but that can’t be a permanent solution.
We also know that he has quite a few properties and accepts cash for all of them, what he declares I don’t know and I don’t know what he does and doesn’t do for the other tenants.

We were wondering what her position would be if she went for social housing if she left a private rent.

She’s really in a predicament and we could do with some advice.

thank you in advance

do not be intimidated… ,go straight to the coucil housing officer tomorrow … She has a lot of rights having been there for so long… change the locks… .Stand up to him ,he will be the one in trouble … Keep a record of all that happens …if the boiler has not been serviced he will be in deep trouble… dont move out or he will have won PS I am not a tenant I am a Landlord

1 Like

Hi Liza, Really sorry to hear about this. I’d recommend contacting Shelter or Citizens Advice to get specific guidance on your mother in law’s situation.

It may be helpful to you to know that if the landlord has not:

  • performed annual gas safety checks on the boiler
  • provided a valid EPC
  • kept the property safe from electrical hazards
  • respected the tenant’s right to quiet enjoyment
  • declared his rental income

then he could face very large fines.

I hope that Shelter or CAB will be able to help you directly,