What is a family?

Just advertised a property, it’s a 1st floor flat with access via concrete steps and floor to ceiling windows in the living area. So I’ve stated ‘No families’ as I just think there are too many risks for small children. I’ve never had a problem attracting potential tenants without children before.
Majority of applicants this time however are from parents with children under 5. I’ve now stated clearly in the advert that it is not suitable for children, but I’m still getting applicants with children, including someone who wants to put an 11 and a 12 year old in a small, single bedroom.
I’m using an automatic screening questionnaire but I’m getting fed-up of rejecting so many people. I did agreed a viewing for a couple with a 9 year old, I’m not unreasonable. Am I missing something here??

just keep rejecting them … Are you aware that windows or doors with glass below 800 mm from the floor need to be toughened or laminated glass for safety ?

1 Like

Thanks Colin, glass is safe but there is a window that opens 50cm from the floor. It’s safer all round if there are no children living there.

1 Like

How far to the ground outside is it?

The reason why i ask is that it may be prudent to put an opening window restrictor on it

1 Like

We were made to put a window restrictor on even though there were no children living or visiting.

1 Like

my understanding is that landlords can limit the numbers but not say ‘no families’. Saying no children might put you on the wrong side of the law. More experienced landlords please comment.

Shantala is correct: “no families” is deemed discriminatory.
However, “not safe for children” is not.
You should have landlord insurance that should cover you in the event of harm to any occupier.
Putting in child safety measures as suggested should ease your concerns.
Keeping a record of your not suitable for children advert related to whoever takes occupation should be your defence, if one is needed, as is producing a risk assessment for the property given to the potential occupier at the contract signup stage.
Once occupied, visitors may be children - you cant prevent that: it is an unfair contract term in my view if you put it into the contract.
Families are likely to stay far longer than other tenants, but also likely to cause more damage - but everyone is different, so I suggest you allow families for your and their long term stability.

1 Like

It is one of the Openrent options in choosing tenants. There are plenty of potential tenants without children, it is not discriminatory to let a flat in a way that avoids it being overcrowded. I can’t do anything to change the steep concrete steps that access my flat. We put a restrictor on the window and a tenant took it off when we had a really hot spell. I don’t want longterm tenants as we intend to move into the property in 18 months.

restrictors can be the type an adult can unlatch or key open. They should not be taken off

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.