What legal documents are necessary when signing the lease contract?

I’m originally from Romania, which is in the EU, but due to Brexit I have many concerns regarding what ID docs I should have with me when signing a rent contract in the UK.

My passport expires soon, so I applied to get a new one at home, but it will still take a few weeks to be ready. The problem is I have to get to the UK earlier than that, so I’ll only have my Romanian ID with me.

Is this enough for landlords? Or, at least, can I take the contract but later add the passport details when I’ll get it via international postage?

Hey Paul,

At the bottom of this blog post is a list of the documentation that landlords would need to check (and take a copy of) in order to achieve Right to Rent compliance.


Note that EEA Identity Card is a Type A1 document. That means it is a single document that shows an unlimited right to rent.

1 Like

This is great, thank you so much :pray:

1 Like

You may be interested in this article, too!