Advice needed limiting use of washing machine

Hi there!

New to the site so hopefully I am doing this right!

I have a query that I cannot find any info on anywhere so hopefully you will be able to help.

My landlord recently replaced the washing machine (it broke down a month and a half ago and was finally replaced this week, white goods are included in our tenancy agreement). He has now stated 4 “strict rules” to adhere to when using it. The 4th one is where I have an issue. He has stated that the new washing machine should not be run every day multiple times a day. There are 4 of us, and himself, currently in the house. He then added “that each person should be once a week”. It seems like he is inferring that we should only be doing one wash a week, if that is the case, is that legal? I am inclined to think not but wish some clarity before I reply.

I will also add that 2 of my housemates work for the NHS where washing their uniforms is very important due to cleanliness and hygiene for a hospital setting.

Thank you!

No, a landlord cant restrict use of washing machine to once a week per person.

If landlord lives with you then you are lodgers rather than tenants which means there is a lot less protection available to you so best to try to come to a mutually acceptable compromise.

The house is listed as an HMO so I’m pretty sure we’re listed down as being tenants?

Thanks for your response! Glad to hear that my instinct was indeed correct.

HMO means landlord has to comply with safety regulations, it doesn’t make you tenants. The key thing is do you share bathroom and/or kitchen with landlord. If you do you would legally be considered lodgers which make it very easy for landlord to evict you if they want to. If you dont share these rooms then you would be tenants.

Just to add to Richard19s post… If you dont share any living space, you would probably be tenants, but not assured tenants. You would still have minimal rights.

Best to Negotiate

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.