Britain's Landlords and pets allowed5 or not and why exactly?

Hi Leslie. Thanks for responding
Yes you are correct it is the people not the pets, I do like the Question and Answer sheet what a good idea and simple too.
Though I suspect that must have been a bit of a challenge to compile.

Regards Alayne

2 Likes

The Government put the ’ Nail in the Pets coffin ’ by Limiting the Deposit to 5 weeks.
MHCLG need to learn that interference in Private business has consequences ( Its unfortunate that its the tenants that always suffer from the Govt’s actions )

3 Likes

Hi Colin
The more I hear about Government and their dealings with Landlords, the more I understand how difficult things are being made for Landlords.
Tennant’s have rights, yes and rightly so but it seems that the Landlords are at a great disadvantage I find this outrageous.
I am amazed at the antics of some Tennant’s, Problem Tennant’s
I cannot say what I really think, I do know they change the Landlords views on whom they will now consider and that impacts on all the prospective Tennant’s apart from that, eviction should be easier in certain circumstances.
Regards
Alayne

4 Likes

hullo the problem was compounded many years ago when the councils sold off council houses to tenants at a huge discount… Not enough social housing now. Housing associations sprang up Charitable ?? Their directors earn huge salaries… Then the goverment decided that tenants would receive the housing benefit to PASS on to the landlord instead of the landlord receiving it directly… HA. Guess what Housing association and other landlords are owed millions of £££££… Not only that but payments took 12 weeks to come thru and paid in arrears . That is why I will not take in anyone on U C or benefit ,. Its stacked against us

5 Likes

Would it be possible for you to invite any prospective landlord to your current place so they can see you are a responsible tenant?
I know not always possible if you cannot get that far or moving out of the area.

1 Like

Hi Mr T
Yes it is very annoying that I cannot make any headway looking for a property,when my first question is about my cat’s.Then it’s just apologies.
I do wonder just how in touch the powers that be really are by when they’re consistently making things harder for Landlords and honest Tennant’s like myself or perhaps they just don’t give a dam?
My biggest problem is I live in South Yorkshire and I wish to move to North Yorkshire,I have lived in the area twice over the years I have previous landlords in the area it’s just a case of going there and looking them up as I have lost contact with them. I am pretty sure they would support me in my move so that is my backup plan and looking other local contacts up I worked with, whom I’m sure will offer their help. Though that has only become my intention now that I see how impossible it is in my situation.
Someone mentioned the selling off of Council houses, rediculous move even worse when the payments to landlords from government were paid to the Tennant’s, obvious disaster, and that has been proven and listening to all the issues landlords have to struggle with because of hair brained decisions makes my blood boil.
All I can say is how out of touch are these government departments.???
Enough said
Alayne

Thanks for the suggestion and good wishes
Alayne

2 Likes

Hi Colin
Can’t say i disagree with your comments, my thoughts at the time were disbelief and the present lot don’t seem to acknowledge the mayhem then or now. Let alone do anything to make life easier for landlords and pet lovers and others to gain either good tenants or or properties to rent.
I think that more understanding of the human condition at the lower echelons of society, such as addicts, and unscrupulous people, to name but a few would perhaps make government bodies realise by weighing the law to the tenants advantage is a travesty. The especially when so many tenants behave so disgracefully.
Alayne

5 Likes

We don’t all have knighthoods but really not sure why this is relevant. Greedy landlords? What about awful tenants. The way my tenants are we are likely to end up on the TV programme about nightmare tenants.

1 Like

I have not mentioned it out of modesty but I have a nighthood also … I put it over my parrot every night

5 Likes

Think you deserve a real one after all your decades in this game!

1 Like

Hi.
Have you had any more contact or news from your tenant/ squatter?

No but getting a S8 with 4 weeks notice. He’s already had one with 3 months notice but this might focus his mind a bit. However I don’t think he will go until bailiffs turn up.

It doesn’t sound like it. It’s a living nightmare. Four weeks sounds good though in the circumstances but still a long time when counting off the days

100% agree with Colin’s first comment here but also the sentiments of Martin; Leslie’s observation that it’s not the pets so much as the owners is also absolutely spot on, in my experience. Owners are historically defensive about their faultless pets.

In short (ish), the material concept here is the lending of a property to someone who, essentially, remains a stranger.
An animal will never improve a property. That leaves the only two remaining possibties: leave it undamaged or damaged. A dog, for example, urinating or defecating on a carpet will have indelibly ruined the underlay forever, even if the carpet itself is not ruined.
Or the thing chews the woodwork, scratches at large panelled glass sliding doors wanting to eat out etc
One has to be realistic. The cost of a replacement door panel starts in the region of £180. Can you imagine any tenant saying anything other than ‘Sorry but you said you accept dogs and on that basis, that’s just normal wear and tear with an animal. Normal behaviour. To be expected.’ And etc.
Who needs it?
As Leslie says…

4 Likes

Lost all I just typed and can’t be bothered to do it again.
In brief, 100% agree with Colin’s first comment and also that of Martin.
Leslie puts it in a nutshell… it’s not the pets so much as the owners.

Animals NEVER improve a property which leaves only two other possibles. Your place appears undamaged or is damaged to varying degrees on vacation.
It only takes a dog to claw at door glass wanting to be let out to ruin it. (a sliding door glass panel is from £180.) Or urinate and/or defecate which is to forever ruin underlay and, likely, also your carpet itself.
And the arguments start there. Owners are historically defensive about their faultless pets.

No thanks to all that.
Who needs it?

Being a landlord is now -thanks to the councils and evermore draconian government legislation- a rubbish job anyway…

… which is why I am trying to sell my last property as we speak but, hey… that’s a detail!
20 odd years was enough for me. Was great apart from the last 10 or so. Insistently, sadly, I found the more I trusted, the more it was ruthlessly abused. Time to go, then!

Landlords… good luck out there!

3 Likes

We are selling too and agree with your sentiments of the more trust and goodwill we give out the more we get exploited. Have definitely found that to be the case very sadly.

2 Likes

I have no pets on one of mine as the property has a covenant when it was converted to 2 flats. In a house its fine I have a rented house that has a dog but not a good idea in a flat. At the end of the day the upstairs flat has a right to quiet enjoyment and there is nothing worse than a barking dog when the owner leaves them on their own. Lots of landlords allow pets so why rent or try to rent a property that doesn’t? It also says not suitable for a young family with good reason. The other houses have families in them. Not everything is black and white and sometimes the landlord knows whats best for that particular property.

4 Likes

What difference does it make really if you have your own criteria. There are always landlords out there with different criteria and that should be respected. People with will always be able to find somewhere that is happy to take pets. There are houses out there more suited to young families. At the end of the day there are plenty of properties to rent on the market. Don’t try to make a one fix suits all. It doesn’t and each landlord must do what is right for them. The government is doing enough landlord bashing and dictating. Lets not start doing it to ourselves as well.

2 Likes

That’s the problem. The government and Shelter have dine everything in their power to make the landlord responsible for everything to the point of actual bankruptcy in some cases. It has you wondering what social service are we to be responsible for next. No one will look after our interest so we have ni choice but to lay down our own criteria and stick to it

4 Likes

i just hope they dont want us to wipe our tenants noses or worse

3 Likes