Can I bill my landlord for repairs if he fails to do it?

Hello everyone.

Is it okay if I send my landlord the invoice and receipt for radiator repairs? For the past 3 months since I moved into the house, he has not done the repairs. I sent him several text messages regarding it. He also doesn’t pick up my calls.

Four days ago, he sent me a message while I was in the office that he was sending over a plumber to the house. The plumber got the radiator working, went away with the dial, but left it leaking and couldn’t be turned off except from the mains. The minute I realized it, I called the landlord, but he didn’t pick up his calls as usual. I sent him several messages, but he didn’t reply to any. I decided to record an audio message, telling him in detail the issues and that I could not live with the radiator like that. In the message, I told him I would look for a plumber to rectify it, and I would deduct the expense from the next rent. I waited for 2 days with the radiator in this condition without a word from the landlord. So, I searched online for a plumber. Now the radiator has been repaired. I have also sent the invoice and receipt to the landlord. Can I deduct it from my next rent?

1 Like

Before you do anything wait forbthe response from the landlord I wouldnt AUTOMATICALLY deduct it from the next rent payment wait and see what is said 1st obviously you know your LL better than we do he MAY just pay you the money you have outlayed or HE may suggest deducting it from.several rent payments over a certain period but I wouldnt just deduct it

1 Like

There is a process outlined on the Shelter website for tenants to deduct the cost of essential or emergency repairs from the rent. You should follow that as far as possible.

2 Likes

and document absolutely everything you do/communicate in case things get difficult with the LL. For that reason, I’d avoid audio messages/leaving voicemails and stick to written communication.

2 Likes

Thank you every one for your contribution.

1 Like