Deposit reduction 4 days after handing in keys

I have just finished a tenancy on a flat after buying a property. On the day of handing the keys in I had the flat professionally cleaned to a very high standard which actually ended up removing some issues that were there when I moved in. On handing the keys in my landlord said the flat looked great and that there were no issues and they would release the deposit once evidence was given that all the bills were paid up to that date. There was no inventory provided on move in so there wasn’t one to check upon moving out.

Fast forward 4 days later and they have contacted me to say they are unhappy with a broadband cable that runs along the top of the landing wall from the front door to the living room and that I need to look at getting it removed and the wall painted. I requested permission (twice) at the start of the tenancy to have this broadband installed and showed screenshots of the email from BT detailing the work they needed to do. The landlord said it was fine on both occasions. They did not request to be present during the installation and did not flag it as an issue on the day I handed in my keys.

I’ve decided this should be taken to dispute with the deposit scheme as they are refusing to release my deposit until this is resolved. I’ve spoken with another landlord who does not believe they have a claim here against me but I am interested to know what others think and if anyone has been in a similar situation? I’m really disappointed as it has been a lovely tenancy otherwise, this seems a really sour way to end it.

1 Like

Even though the landlord gave permission for the cable, it is still down to you to make good any work when you leave unless something to the contrary was said in the email exchange.

Would the broadband not be of a benefit to the landlord for marketing the property and convenient to the incoming tenant?

1 Like

This is exactly why I give tenants a list of details to add when sending me a request to do work in the house during their tenancy. The list is in the “requests” section of a folder of info I provide on each property.

The details include what they plan to do with the installation at the end of the tenancy. So, for example, if they were to request to install blinds, they tell me whether they plan to remove them and make good, or leave them and I tell them what I agree either way. This means it’s unambiguous.

Lesson learned for the future for you hopefully @Ben39

Please let us know what the deposit scheme say. They might rule in your favour because the LL may have no proof that he asked you to remove it prior to checkout.

1 Like